Page 1 of 10
On the way to work this morning, I saw a bumper sticker that stated, "Welcome to America, now speak English".

That got me to thinking about the whole situation. Should immigrants be forced to learn english? George Bush (I know he's dumb, don't flame me for quoting him) said that the English language is one of the things that " Unites America".

Theodore Roosevelt said something like, "All immigrants (to America), should learn English in 5 years." I could be wrong on that quote, I don't feel like looking it up.

Basically, pit, what do you think??
Yes. I'm to old to learn Babel
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Yes, they should learn the language. I can't go to an Italian Restaurant and demand that they make me Chinese food because it's what I ate back home. This is a similar situation. I mean, I'm not Chinese, and I've never been to China, but you get the point.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yes. I'm sick of the amount of Polish and Czech's down here that can't be bothered to learn a single word of English. You're in our country, at least make a ****ing attempt to learn the language.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
They should learn English yeh. I live in the UK but I think all Immigrants here should learn it. It's an English speaking country so ****ing speak it...
Yes. How else will I tell them which of my bushes I want trimmed?
All your base are belong to us.
"George Bush said that the English language is one of the things that " Unites America"." His English skills sort of explain the state of the counrty then :/
I think the Americans should learn to speak English first.

Badoom boom tschh.

But yeah, I've no problem with people immigrating as long as they at least make the effort to speak our language.
I do think they need to learn the language. It will eventually be more practical for themselves too, they can get better jobs, get a better education etc. Also you chose to come to America (or any other country) so learing the language is in my opinion normal.
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Oh, I thought it was having a stab at Americanisms.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Only if Americans learn English first and agree to use the word 'like' when needed and not in every ****ing sentence.
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
Only if Americans learn English first and agree to use the word 'like' when needed and not in every ****ing sentence.

Oh get over yourself, unless you pronounce everything word perfect without hesitation, I don't think you can really complain about various little nuances of speech. You can still understand what they're saying.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by j_hunter_hkr

Most Americans do know english.

And that annoys the crap out of me too. (when people say "like" too much)
if you live in a country where they speak a different language, you learn their language, it's called integration first and foremost. I remember when my mother came to denmark some 30 years ago, she learned the danish language in a matter of a few weeks, and passed her graduation. Imo it's not right to live in a country and not wanna learn their language, then you might aswell just f*ck off imo.
Quote by j_hunter_hkr

12 Year old girls =/= the whole of America
Quote by j_hunter_hkr

I but I like, like the word like
Quote by j_hunter_hkr

Add to that the senseless adding and getting rid of letters in certain words.

Favor, color, humor etc.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by Final !mpact
12 Year old girls =/= the whole of America

What?!?!

Are you serious?

*Cancels U.S. trip*
Immigrants should learn to speak English, but I think that they souldn't be forced to do it... Even if they don't speak English it will harder for them to find a job and to live there...
I don't understand this witch hunt against immigrants... All American are immigrants anyway. Whenever English-speaking people move to other countries how many of them do you think take the time to learn the language? A smaller percentage than those people who move to America already knowing English anyway.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Well it would make their life and everyone elses easier.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
They shouldn't be forced to learn English, its there loss if they don't. I couldn't imaigne trying to live if a country where I couldn't understand people and they can't understand me.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
well, think about it, if you emigrated to a foreign country where the 1st language was not english, most people would make the effort to learn the language.

i would feel dumb if i didn't.

in other words, yes they should learn the language (or make a decent attempt at it), but if they choose to, be proud of their country of origin.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead
Yes. I'm sick of the amount of Polish and Czech's down here that can't be bothered to learn a single word of English. You're in our country, at least make a ****ing attempt to learn the language.

I must agree with you, Polish people in UK USUALLY don't try at all to learn the language. But on the other hand, they'll leave soon because the pound is going down so working in UK isn't that profitable anymore
A lot of latino people that are immigrants in America simply don't learn english.

It also pisses me off that some of them come over here illegally.

I don't really know if I could blame them for trying though.
Who learned you how to spoke?

Question for the english:
Excluding the ignorant, repetitive use of the word 'like', when an american talks, is it a bit difficult to understand them? I knew a man from Manchester, and half the time, I couldn't understand him.

Legitimate question, don't be a smartass.
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

I'll agree that Americans have band enough English but it really does annoy me when people come in and start taking over a country without even knowing the national language or having any regard for the customs and laws of the country.

Plus, I hate it when people call it "American", it's English not American you American.

Yes, I just used nationality as an insult
Quote by Phobos&Deimos

Excluding the ignorant, repetitive use of the word 'like', when an american talks, is it a bit difficult to understand them? I knew a man from Manchester, and half the time, I couldn't understand him.

I don't find it difficult (sometimes I don't even notice an accent), but my parents sometimes do. It's probably all the American TV I watch.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Considering most Americans seem to struggle with it, I think nobody's in any position to be making demands like that
Quote by Phobos&Deimos

Legitimate question, don't be a smartass.

Who learnt me how to spoke?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by GnR_ROK
Add to that the senseless adding and getting rid of letters in certain words.

Favor, color, humor etc.

yeah that bugs the **** out of me
^ There is a difference between American English and British English. Hence many people just use "American" to refer to the dialect. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

IMO, I would like to see English made the national language, just so **** is easier.
My God, it's full of stars!
Pretty much works that way in Australia now...

To become a citizen you have to pass an English proficiency test as well as an Australian general history test plus all of the usual crap

It's quite funny really...

But I think it's fair, because I went to Bali no to long ago, for one week, and took the time to learn enough Indonesian to communicate generally. Personally i don't understand why someone else wouldn't do that, it's common courtesy
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Herro?
Engrish?
What is Engrish?
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Quote by Shredder XXX
Pretty much works that way in Australia now...

To become a citizen you have to pass an English proficiency test as well as an Australian general history test plus all of the usual crap

It's quite funny really...

But I think it's fair, because I went to Bali no to long ago, for one week, and took the time to learn enough Indonesian to communicate generally. Personally i don't understand why someone else wouldn't do that, it's common courtesy

Agreed.

Many simply don't care though.
Quote by kidsilcon
Who learnt me how to spoke?

Your avatar is full of win.
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

Quote by Malakian88
I think the Americans should learn to speak English first.

Will you be my tutor?
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!