I know there's a few too many of these at the moment, but I'm kinda stumped. My budget's about £400, and I'm really just looking for something that can do medium-high gain (Nothing too ballistic here), and can do a real good 70/80's rock/punk tone (Crue, GnR, Pistols, Motorhead... That kinda thing and feel)... Been looking and playing on a few and just can't find anything useful. If I can avoid anything made in China, that'd be awesome, but TBH Tone first, then I can worry about principle.
Many thanks in advance.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Probably a Peavey Classic 30. If you wanna go a bit higher wattage, you could also explore the Traynor YCV's, either the 40 or 50 might get you that sound, and with a decent OD could get you that mid to high level gain you spoke of (which was less important, granted).

But you could conceivably get the same gain you want from the Peavey C30, too, with a decent OD...so who knows.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah the Classic 30 is your best bet
Gear:
Art & Lutherie Acoustic
Epiphone SG
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Vox AD30VT
What exactly are you shooting for, TS, with your asking of "medium to high gain, but not too ballistic"? Give us some examples or something so we can narrow it down. Otherwise, with what you said, a Classic 30 is right up your alley.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Get the Classic 30
New tubes and speakers will really make a beast later on (unless it comes stock with JJ's)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The Classic 30 isn't really great value in the UK, I'd probably take a Laney VC30 over it and upgrade it (new speaker and tubes), but it does depend on how 'high-gain' you want to go. Any examples of the sort of sounds you're after?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
^Oh, dang. I didn't read TS's location.
yeah, if you're a UKer, get a VC
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by cmakkidguitar
The Classic 30 isn't really great value in the UK, I'd probably take a Laney VC30 over it and upgrade it (new speaker and tubes), but it does depend on how 'high-gain' you want to go. Any examples of the sort of sounds you're after?

Exactly what I was going to post - most of the people who recommended the C30 don't know how good a deal we get on Laney over here.
Go for a Laney VC30
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The Laney VC is probably your best bet.

The new Sound City's look interesting, but I haven't heard anything about them.

Tonally, the Orange Tiny Terror might do it for you. It's a little light on overall wattage, but maybe worth finding out if it's enough power for you. Or if you can mic it regularly when gigging.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You may even find a used Orange Rocker 30 for that much if your lucky Keep an eye out
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
This is where I try o answer everoyne at once
cmakkidguitar, when I said 'medium-high', I meant a sort of heavy rock, but not metal sort of gain and distortion - Such as Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, motorhead - that kind of thing (Ok, so motorhead practically invented speed-metal, but shh, ok? )
I've been keeping a half-eye on the VC, actually, as something to go for - Funny how these things turn out, ain't it?
The Orange rocker 30 would be real sweet to find, but I'll see what I can get. Will most likely try to grab a new set of valves anyway and a 2x12 cab for some extra headroom anyway.
The Sound Cities? Interesting, although I'll be hard pressed to find them in Stoke now that Sound Control seem to have gone bust. I'll keep an eye out for them as well, and will see what I can do. I'll be biuying whatever I choose through GAK anyway (its' a damn side cheaper that way ), but will try before I buy whatever I find... Just figured I wanted something a bit more professional than a Marshall AVT or the likes. Thanks very much, gents
The rig:
Newcastle United
Laney VC30
Orange TT or used R30 if you get lucky on eBay

I'd go with the TT probably, if you're not massively concerned with having much clean tone.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by darkarbiter7
Get the Classic 30
New tubes and speakers will really make a beast later on (unless it comes stock with JJ's)

Hell yeah they do!
Quote by cmakkidguitar

agreed. the classic 30 might have slightly more gain though, so it's hard to say.

it might also be worth trying the laney lc30; i didn't like it as much as the vc30 when i tried it, but it is quite a bit more modern-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Fair enough, guys - And if by reading the other threads I'll most likely get lumped with cheap valves with whatever I buy, can anyone suggest any particular brands to keep an eye out for? (Whatever amp I'll be buying, i'll want to put a little more umpth into it - Kinda like turbocharging a Lotus here, for all those who don't mind a Racing sim reference )
The rig:
Newcastle United
try the ultimate tube thread? but i probably wouldn't upgrade immediately at any rate, try the amp for a while to see what you like about its tone and want to keep, and what you want to improve or change (much like pickups).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Epiphone blues custom and a turbo tubescreamer.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!