I want to put 11s on my RG, but I play in E standard. I heard this kind of tension could damage the neck, for being so thin. It's a fixed bridge. Do I really need to worry about damage to the neck?
I don't think it would hurt, as long as it's set up with the right string hieght and truss rod adjustment.

11's are too heavy for an E standard tuning, they'll be at too high a tension that you'll lose sustain and tone. Unless that's what your looking for. The heaviest I'd go is to 10's.
with the proper set-up, nothing bad will happen.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Bertallica
I don't think it would hurt, as long as it's set up with the right string hieght and truss rod adjustment.

11's are too heavy for an E standard tuning, they'll be at too high a tension that you'll lose sustain and tone. Unless that's what your looking for. The heaviest I'd go is to 10's.

What if it's Eb? I feel that I have more control over my playing with thicker strings, but I don't really like to tune down. Would tuning it just a half-step down relieve the excessive tension?

And yes, I'm taking it to the store, so it will be set-up properly.
Last edited by Whiskky at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by Bertallica

11's are perfectly fine for Electric guitar, heavier strings are known to give a chunkier sound with better tone. Losing tone? SRV used 13's and his tone is godly. I use 11's and not only is the tension fine the sound is good, much thicker than using 8's or 9's.

Go for it!
Quote by Bertallica

Lose sustain and tone? Are you mad?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
LOL. That doesn't mean thinner strings aren't capable of achieving good tone though..
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
LOL. That doesn't mean thinner strings aren't capable of achieving good tone though..

No, not at all, Jimmy Page used quite light strings (8's or 9's) and he had a godly tone.
I use .11s in Standard tuning on my LP (fixed bridge too) and it's no problem. Sure, you need to adjust yourself to it as well as the truss rod and intonation (eventually the action too) but there are no real technical problems involved. I know a guy who uses .13s on his guitars and he plays mainly in E standard.
If you hope to get a big sound advantage compared to .09s or .10s, I'll have to disappoint you. I myself can only hear a difference when making a HUGE jump between gauges.
I would worry about the neck on your RG for higher gauge strings, yes. I've heard too many horror stories about these thinner metal axe necks not coping well with higher gauges for there to be no truth in it whatsoever. Although, I personally have no experience in an RG neck with 11s crapping out. However, all my RG-owning friends typically play metal and shred, and typically use 9s, so I dunno.

Quote by Bertallica

You don't lose sustain and tone with thicker strings. You get 'more' tone (if tone can be quantified into an 'amount') with higher gauge strings. And there are no tuning issues to be worrying about with using 11s for E standard. 11 are certainly not 'too heavy'.
0.11 is only mid-heavy. Not anything that can crack your neck. You might need to adjust the truss rod a bit to get back the relief and check the saddles for intonation.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by TheQuailman
I use .11s in Standard tuning on my LP (fixed bridge too) and it's no problem. Sure, you need to adjust yourself to it as well as the truss rod and intonation (eventually the action too) but there are no real technical problems involved. I know a guy who uses .13s on his guitars and he plays mainly in E standard.
If you hope to get a big sound advantage compared to .09s or .10s, I'll have to disappoint you. I myself can only hear a difference when making a HUGE jump between gauges.

My intention on .11s is solely for playability reasons. Actually, I don't see how such a slight difference in measure can change the tone.

And yeah, I guess .11s aren't that heavy for me to worry about the neck.

Well, thanks guys, for all your replies. Really cleared up my mind on this.
Quote by Bloodshed
Lose sustain and tone? Are you mad?

What I meant to say was that you'd lose tone and sustain faster. Since the string is under more stress with higher tension, they will lose their brightness faster.
Had 11's on my RG tuned a half-step down with no problems whatsoever (After a proper setup of course).
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Hello i had .9 s and when i broke my string i just bought a 10-46...do i need to do truss rod adjustment for that?
Which model RG?

I'd say probably not but its going to depend on how it feels to you. You will need to re-intonate your guitar though.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
It won't kill you to play 11s. Malcolm Young (AC/DC's rhythm guitarist) uses 14s.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by jm1681
Which model RG?

I'd say probably not but its going to depend on how it feels to you. You will need to re-intonate your guitar though.

It's rg321ex and how do i do that stuff?? is it easy to do myself or should i pay for it..
Intonating isn't too hard...

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step6

...that should be easy enough to follow. You're just moving the saddles forward or backward a little.

Just remember: flat-forward, sharp-back
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头