So I've been looking to build a bass as a project, kinda out of summer boredom. My father has an extensive wealth of carpentry experience, that and all the wood we have laying partially around inspired this.

Long story short, we've got slabs of walnut in the basemen, bass size. I read that walnut has a very bright and punchy tone, so i figure if I couple that with a maple neck I would have a good combo.

We can cut and mold the body, I am most likely going to buy the neck, and electronics won't be a big issue.

What I want to know is, what do you guys think of it? Is it a feasible idea?
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
if you do it i demand that this thread be updated with pics

and yeah it is feasible
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Perfectly.
Walnut is a heavy wood,in my experience so be prepared for your back to break. Could you show us a picture of the walnut you're planning to use?
There are some species of walnut that look 100000000x better with just a clear coat rather than a full on finish.

Good luck
There are two pieces in my basement, both a little dusty, but hey. still haven't decided on a body shape, Telecaster, ES 335 style?

Walnut 1 front: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/mexicanjazz/walnut1back.jpg
Walnut 1 back: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/mexicanjazz/walnut1back-1.jpg
Walnut 2 front: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/mexicanjazz/walnut2front.jpg
Walnut 2 back: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/mexicanjazz/walnut2back.jpg
i think telecaster shape you don't see enough of them
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
wow... talk about in a rough state...

i'd love to see this finished... i dont know if i would do a tele style with such a nice piece of wood, though... i'd do a layered laminate body and contour the hell out of it so the layers come through as a contrasting band around the body
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
ES-335 are semi-hollowbody archtops-not great for your first build.
I think a tele style bass would be pretty cool,I don't remember ever seeing one before

EDIT:The pieces are pretty nice
i agree with NBT8. contour the HELLL outta those beasts, bring that grain throuuugh!

this'll be absolutely epic, from raw form.
------

Shwiggity.
Tele body sounds like a good idea, but just one issue. Most guitar designs taken straight to bass result in massive fail, ie the Thunderbird and SG bass, so should I worry about it at all?

This is my first build so I think the hollow body may be a bit out of my league lol.
the only difference between a semi hollow and a lam top solidbody is the fact that there are pockets routed on the sides of the semi... nothing major

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Well I think what I've got in my mind so far is:

Telecaster guitar body shape, Walnut.
Telecaster neck with maple fretboard.
Tuners and bridge taken off my P Bass.
Basslines SRB-1 Ric replacement pickup.
No pickguard.
Bunch of good lookin' chrome ****.
you gonna buy or make the neck?

*grabs chest*

build one

Edit:

and use bocote for the neck

Quote by forstringwonder
Tele body sounds like a good idea, but just one issue. Most guitar designs taken straight to bass result in massive fail, ie the Thunderbird and SG bass, so should I worry about it at all?

This is my first build so I think the hollow body may be a bit out of my league lol.

you shouldn't have a problem with this, if i remember corrently someone on this forum built a bass like this and had no issues with neck dive
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Ok, just checking lol.

And about pickups, there needs to be 2 of them, and I'm looking for something with growl and good treble. Along the lines of a Rickenbacker. The SRB-1 looks like a good choice for one, but would saving up and getting 2 be worth it in the long run?
^yes, i think in the long run you'll be happy you built it with a little more tonal choices than just the single pickup, just make sure its something different enough from the first pickup that you will actually use it.
Well, I am planning to give it two out put jacks so I can bi-amp it, figuring two of the same pickups would be ok.

Anyone have any experience bi-amping?