Hey guys, I recently made a post on here with regards to the best available guitar for £700 but have been told with my current set-up I'd be better splitting the money half way and getting an amp and a guitar.
I currently own this guitar
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/washburn/x50/index.html
And this amp
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/line_6/spider_ii_212/

I used to play the guitar very often, I would come home from school, play for 4-5 hours and then go to bed and do the same week in week out. I used to love it with a passion. But I got to the stage where I was so fed up of playing the pentatonic over E minor metal tracks, that eventually I packed it in. I played for 2 years straight and then just stopped until now.

My point is all I would do is read tabs and improvise with this 1 scale, for example soloing over E

E-12-15
A-12-15
D-12-14
G-12-14
B-12-15
E-12-15

I would solo in E over back in black for example and then you shook me all night long using exactly the same scale but in G, starting at the 15th fret. Sure this was fun, but it soon got very boring and monotonous. I want to know how to take that extra step with regards to improvisation. I believe this will rekindle the magic I used to feel from playing the guitar

I started off as a metal head, bought a 7 string RG7321 and went through a period where I learnt all of Korn's stuff, then I soon discovered that the 7th string gets in the way in more ways than not.

From here i purchased the Washburn X-50 and played Metallica, Muse, Nirvana, Queen, Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden and some classics such as stairway to heaven, Jimi Hendrix's best songs etc

This lead me on to Blues and Jazz but once again just learning other people's music through tabs, not actually learning about how it was constructed.

So here i am now, wanting to respark that passion, I still really enjoy playing metal but highly appreciate blues and jazz, so therefore I'm looking for a setup that falls in between those, Ive set a budget of £700 and would like to see recommendations with regards to how it would best be spent

I'm not a fan of Les Pauls

Thanks for reading
I've heard great things about the washburn - its ment to be a good guitar, maybe a pickup change would be good though. Definately a new amp should take priority here.

To help understand how music is made etc, im assuming you dont know that much music theory, this article is great, at first it makes no sense but once you've gone through it enough it can suddenly all click.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

I wouldn't know what amp to reccomend though, thats up to other people.
Last edited by StonaLemons at Jun 26, 2008,
I would say any ibanez S series. pretty damn versatile. i play tons of metal, but i do play a lot of blues/classic rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFrzGTAF0s

bear in mind your not going to find a single guitar that can play metal perfectly, and still sound fantastic for blues and jazz. its like asking for a fat free donut
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
keep what you have, only you can help your self uno? learn basic theory then you should be able to solo about the place... theres nothing wrong with pent scales just dont over do it and learn to phrase properly. Tabs are like memorizing something but having no understanding of why, but you know it needs memorizing? If I was you I'd spend time listening to songs and trying to play them.. most blues will be based around pent scales but u just gotta experiment with all sorts of stuff and have fun..

Dont buy new gear just for the sake of it, the amp isnt great but it will do to practise with... invest in some lessons thats where I'd put my money :x
Last edited by johntb at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by StonaLemons
I've heard great things about the washburn - its ment to be a good guitar, maybe a pickup change would be good though. Definately a new amp should take priority here.

To help understand how music is made etc, im assuming you dont know that much music theory, this article is great, at first it makes no sense but once you've gone through it enough it can suddenly all click.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.htm

I wouldn't know what amp to reccomend though, thats up to other people.

Article didnt work, error 404.

Anyways like he said your guitar probably will still be good for you for a while longer but try a pickup swap. And seeing as you have 700 pounds whish i believe is more than 700 us dollars? than you could better spend your money on pretty decent gear and pedals. Look for a low wattage tube amp that will havdle high gain and also has good cleans, then get pedals for effects. pedals are fun too
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
hmm i may not be doing my self justice, I'm a pretty capable guitar player and i know lessons would make me better but I'd rather just read theory and get stuck in by myself. The S series is not really what I'm looking for, it's a bit to metal based for my liking. I'm looking for an Iron maiden/ Slash sound, high gain, high trebles but a bit gritty. I'd also like to say I'm not looking for a practice amp but a 75/100w one at least. Any recommendations in that department?
Thanks for the advise so far
Quote by LaGrange
Article didnt work, error 404.

Fixed =p

And yes £700 is roughly $1400 dollars - however guitar gear is more expensive here so it probably works out that £700 will give you $1000-1200 worth of guitar.

edit: And sharpy, you dont need a 75/100 watt amp - You want a valve/tube amp (valve and tube = thing) a 30 watt valve amp should be about the same loudness as a 75 watt solid state amp, and sound better at higher volumes. Basicly solid states sound okay at lower volumes and when you put it up to higher volumes it starts to sound crap. Tubes sound okay at lower volumes and when you put it to higher volumes sounds amazin. Read up this if you want to know more about amps

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
Last edited by StonaLemons at Jun 26, 2008,
Although I have in the past I don't plan on gigging so I guess anything more than 100W would be overboard.
Personally, I suggest replacing the cheaper one first (IDK how much you payed because IDK how much euros are worth in USD right now.)
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
erm excuse me :S im English :P and thanks for that advise stonalemons, my friend has a fender hot rod deluxe which is a valve amp, the sound puts my spider amp to shame
What Strat would you recommend for Blues/jazz yet is also very competent with metal, one with humbuckers I'm presuming?
I would advise against buying any new guitar as what you have is easily up to the job, even more so with a pickup change. Id look into some mid-high gain pickups, see Dimarzio, Seymore Duncan and Bare Knuckle. The rest Id spend on a really nice amp that will last you for years.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
ok well whats putting me off this guitar is that i have zakk wylde strings on it, dont ask why lol, they were cheap and i wasnt thinking, they are horrid. So i guess i should look in to nice gauge 9/10 strings, what amp do you recommend halikus? please take into account i wont be gigging
Quote by sharpy1
hmm i may not be doing my self justice, I'm a pretty capable guitar player and i know lessons would make me better but I'd rather just read theory and get stuck in by myself. The S series is not really what I'm looking for, it's a bit to metal based for my liking. I'm looking for an Iron maiden/ Slash sound, high gain, high trebles but a bit gritty. I'd also like to say I'm not looking for a practice amp but a 75/100w one at least. Any recommendations in that department?
Thanks for the advise so far

Your current guitar is perfect for what you want to play, and also quite good, there's no point changing it at all.

Your amp is a whole other story though...you could get yourself an Orange Rocker 30 combo with your whole budget.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rk30c-rockerverb/12467
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
so does everyone agree on the fact that my guitar is ok and its the amp that is the problem? does anyone have anything to say with regards to steven seagull's (ownage name btw) opinion. Remember I'm looking for a metal tone as well, but i guess i could buy a pedal for that
Quote by sharpy1
so does everyone agree on the fact that my guitar is ok and its the amp that is the problem? does anyone have anything to say with regards to steven seagull's (ownage name btw) opinion. Remember I'm looking for a metal tone as well, but i guess i could buy a pedal for that

THe Orange is an amzing and extremely versatile amp. It will do Metal no problem. The only other amps versatile enough for what you want to play are Mesa/Booges which tend to cost 3x the price of the Orange so go for it.

Steven Seagull speaks the truth, always.
Quote by impeachpedro10
I would say any ibanez S series. pretty damn versatile. i play tons of metal, but i do play a lot of blues/classic rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFrzGTAF0s

bear in mind your not going to find a single guitar that can play metal perfectly, and still sound fantastic for blues and jazz. its like asking for a fat free donut

Holy crap that body is thin, my guitar is like twice as thick as that thing. I saw one at the local guitar store. I have gotta go see how light it is compared to my current guitar.
Here's UG's very own Gabel with his review of the Rocker 30...to put things in perspective he got it because his Plex was too loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtKpsi-oAY8
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

hmm been reading some reviews on the orange and says it has high gain but doesn't quite cut it for metal i guess the only way I'll know is by testing it in a shop myself
Quote by steven seagull
Here's UG's very own Gabel with his review of the Rocker 30...to put things in perspective he got it because his Plex was too loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtKpsi-oAY8

Good news, new video review in about a week or two! This time with a better camera and sweet ass condenser mic!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by sharpy1
How about a Peavy Valveking? I'm also readiing great things about this
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-1-strat-hss/8205 caters to many genres apparently

The Orange destroys the valveking.

The Rocker isn't voiced for modern, high gain tones but it'll easily achieve them if you chuck an EQ pedal in front of it and maybe an overdrive. However, for anything from blues like older clapton or hendrix through classic rock like zeppelin and purple up to old school metal like maiden or priest it's pretty much the perfect amp.

I agree about that last vid btw, that was a pretty nasty tone, but the palying was pretty "nasty" too...some people go for that.

Rob Chappers orange demo vid is pretty good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-PHqs4zBAc&feature=related
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 26, 2008,