What are they (Brands/Models)?
Whats the difference between a regular amp and these high gain ones?
Are these high gain "boutique"? What makes an amp "boutique"?
Mesa Boogie Rectifers, Mesa Mark IV, Peavey 5150/6505, Peavey Triple XXX, Genz-Benz El-deabloe, Just to name a few.

Most of these amps are not just high gain monsters for modren music, some are very virsatile and can get a vast array of tones.
krank krankenstein

amazing high gain amp love it
Quote by I Be Andyy
That gives you rank of -10 out of 10. You fail. Go play the flute.

----GEAR----
Gibson voodoo sg
Schecter hellraiser c-1 fr (07' model)
Fender american strat
Martin 000-28
Peavey bandit 112
Mesa mark 5
Mesa stiletto 4x12
so im guessing these are the amps used by guitarists like Vai/Satriani/EVH/Ynwie/Adam Jones/Petrucci huh? What about the boutique question
Are diezel/engl/bogner/soldano/vht/carvin in the same category? God i wish i had one of these
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Boutique means amps that are builty by a small company that aren't very widely distributed - it means stuff like Divided by 13, Dr Z, Fuchs and such, stuff you probably haven't heard about. Basically, non-mainstream amps.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
High gain amps are regular amps, they're just voiced better for high gain music than other amps.

Some high gain/boutique amps are:

Bogner Uberschall, Ecstasy
Diezel Herbert, VH4, Einstein
Elmwood M60 Modena, M90 Modena
Engl Blackmore, Savage, Powerball, Fireball
Framus Dragon, Cobra
Genz Benz El Diablo
Krank Krankenstein, Revolution, Chadwick
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, Roadster, Road King, Rectifier series
Mako Makoplex, Dorado
Peavey 5150±, 6505±, XXX, JSX
Rivera Knucklehead Tre
Soldano SLO 100, Avenger
Splawn Quickrod, Nitro
VHT Sig-X, Deliverance

That's all I could think of off the top of my head.
Quote by Geartrigger
High gain amps are regular amps, they're just voiced better for high gain music than other amps.

Framus Dragon, Cobra
Genz Benz El Diablo
Mako Makoplex, Dorado
Rivera Knucklehead Tre
Soldano SLO 100, Avenger
Splawn Quickrod, Nitro
VHT Sig-X, Deliverance

All of them plus:

VHT G-100-UL Pitbull
VHT G-100-CL Pitbull
VHT G-50-CL Pitbull
5150III
Mesa Boogie DC series [DC-10, DC-5, etc]
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Series [Contrary to popular belief, these can get Br00tal for sure]

Can't really think of anymore

Ohh ohh ohh

Orange Thunderverb 50
Orange Thunderverb 200 ?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by amd123
Are diezel/engl/bogner/soldano/vht/carvin in the same category? God i wish i had one of these

These amps are fairly widely distributed these days, so I personally wouldn't really consider them "boutique" anymore. Fama's examples were really good for boutique amps. Those are some of the very best amps made anywhere (I've played all of those). There're dozens of boutique hand-made point-to-point wired amps to choose from these days (although many boutique amps have PCBs, like Fuchs). You just need to try as many as you can. Most boutique manufacturers aren't making uber-metal amps, but cleanish/classic toned amps with superior dynamics & touch-sensitivity.
What differentiates the ultra-metal amps is usually additional gain stages. Many use 5 pre-amp stages, as opposed to 2,3, or 4 as commonly used. The SLO 100 & Uberschall have 5, the new EVH 5150 III has 8 (but I don't know how they're separated between the 3 channels).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by amd123
so im guessing these are the amps used by guitarists like Vai/Satriani/EVH/Ynwie/Adam Jones/Petrucci huh? What about the boutique question

Technically Joe Satriani and Steve Vai have their own signature amps, Satriani helped design the Peavey JSX and Vai uses his Carvin Steve Vai Legacy both of which are stunningly good amps.

Also Eddie Van Halen is pretty well known for using the Peavey 5150s I'm not sure what Adam Jones uses and off the top of my head I think Petrucci used to use Mesas but now he uses a rack setup.
Guitars:
Carvin DC145
Epiphone Explorer with Seymour Duncan JB and '59
Ibanez RGT42FXQM with Dimarzio Evo 2 and PAF Joe
Amp:
Carvin V3 2x12 combo with JJ 6L6GC tubes

Bass:
Ibanez SR300IPT
Amp:
Carvin BX600 2x10 half stack
Quote by Remonster
Technically Joe Satriani and Steve Vai have their own signature amps, Satriani helped design the Peavey JSX and Vai uses his Carvin Steve Vai Legacy both of which are stunningly good amps.

Also Eddie Van Halen is pretty well known for using the Peavey 5150s I'm not sure what Adam Jones uses and off the top of my head I think Petrucci used to use Mesas but now he uses a rack setup.

Petrucci uses 2 mesa boogie mark iv and 1 lonestar. it is even rumored that he is trying out a mark V prototype on his current tour.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Adam Jones uses a Diezel VH4 (or two) and an old Marshall tube bass amp (...Superbass? Meh, something). He's used a Mesa Rectifier (dual or triple) too. Probably some other amp I don't remember, Diezel Herbert maybe? Well I'm sure about the VH4, bass amp and Mesa (although he might not use the Mesa anymore, live).
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Fama
Adam Jones uses a Diezel VH4 (or two) and an old Marshall tube bass amp (...Superbass? Meh, something). He's used a Mesa Rectifier (dual or triple) too. Probably some other amp I don't remember, Diezel Herbert maybe? Well I'm sure about the VH4, bass amp and Mesa (although he might not use the Mesa anymore, live).

It's a Bassman.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
you forgot egnater on that list. i am pretty sure they are made for high gain because marty friedman used one for a while
Quote by ironman1478
you forgot egnater on that list. i am pretty sure they are made for high gain because marty friedman used one for a while

Yea I was debating whether or not to put it on that list, I didn't feel like it was voiced right for the amount of gain it had. It seemed like it needed more presence.
Quote by Geartrigger

Framus Dragon, Cobra
Genz Benz El Diablo
Mako Makoplex, Dorado
Rivera Knucklehead Tre
Soldano SLO 100, Avenger
Splawn Quickrod, Nitro
VHT Sig-X, Deliverance

Wow, I'd say that about sums it up.

When I did my list, I obviously left out a few (But not too many )
Quote by Cutmyself
It's a Bassman.

...do you mean a Bassman clone? Since the Bassman is Fender's amp, and I'm sure he uses a Marshall bass head. Although the early Marshalls are pretty much Bassman copies.

Oh well, I'll just check wikipedia. There.

Quote by Wikipedia

These amps are a 1976 Marshall Super Bass amp...

So it was Super Bass, almost the same as Superbass
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by amd123

oh yeah, of course. not sure about carvin though, i haven't tried those.

Quote by Fama
Boutique means amps that are builty by a small company that aren't very widely distributed - it means stuff like Divided by 13, Dr Z, Fuchs and such, stuff you probably haven't heard about. Basically, non-mainstream amps.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by riffhog
These amps are fairly widely distributed these days, so I personally wouldn't really consider them "boutique" anymore. Fama's examples were really good for boutique amps.

agreed. I meant that those amps were certainly in the same league, if not better, than the high gainers which had already been mentioned (mesa, genz benz etc.) by the time that post was made.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Generally boutique amps are lower-gain, low watt combos.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Johnbryant
Genz-Benz El-deabloe

lol @ spelling
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by chase312
Orange Thunderverb 50
Orange Thunderverb 200 ?

I've heard from quite a few people that the rockerverb actually is a wee-bit more metal than the thunderverb, correct me if I'm wrong
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)