iv never owned a triple humbucking guitar before, how exactly does the pickup selector work as far as what pickups are on in what switch position?

also, if i were to replace the pickups, iv read some people put in another bridge pickup in the middle spot for kinda a 2 in 1 guitar deal, and some put a neck pickup to add smoother sounds to all positions. i play a lot of hard rock, and a little bit of metal. i was thinking about a sh-14 for the bridge and sh-2 ( i like duncans) in the neck. but idk about the middle. or would a jb be better in the bridge (it sounded a little trebly from sound clips iv heard, and i like my bass response).

if it helps, im going to be wiring 3 volume pots with a master tone so i can turn on and off pickups with the volume pots.

thanks guys.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Generally, if it's got a 3-way switch, it's neck-middle-bridge.

For ultimate switching, you can wire it the way Jimmy Page has on his new black beauty reissue. Basically, the switch has 6 positions. In the first three, it's like a normal 3-way, and it goes neck-neck+bridge-bridge. Then, from each of those three, you can flick the switch sideways to add the middle pickup to any position. This allows you to combine any 2 or all 3 pickups.

For the middle pickup, I suggest something hotter than the neck pickup, but not as much as the bridge pickup.

I'd say you put a SH-2 Jazz in the neck (if you like that), a SH-6 in the bridge, and a '59 intended for the bridge in the middle position.
i see. i thought it went something like bridge-middle, all 3, neck middle. so maybe i dont have to wire 3 volume pots then.

i have an sh-6 in my guitar now and im not a huge huge fan. but then again, if i put a jb in the middle to get it a bit bassier, that would be a nice arsenal with the option of still having 2 bridge pickups at my disposal.

ill look into those switches too.

thanks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by sashki
You could have the 3-way switch it came with to operate it like a 2-pickup les paul, and then add another switch which turns on the middle pickup.

how exactly would that be wired so that the middle is always on unless switched off?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
im sorry im a little confused..
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30