I've been trying to work on getting my economy of motion better recently. What 's been happing is that at an extremely slow speed I can decrease the amount of movement, however, when I try to speed up, my movement becomes less economic again. Can anybody help me out with this? This problem is mainly with my pinky.

EDIT: This pertains to my left hand.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Jun 26, 2008,
When you practice, concentrate on keeping your fingers as close as possible to the fretboard. If you can't, play it slower till you find a speed at which you have the time to actually concentrate on your mistakes.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

practice over and over again on the slow speed where you can keep your fingers low. if you are 100% comfortable and do not have to think about it anymore, move up 10 bpm. if that's too much move back down 5 bpm. repeat until you have the speed you want.
Yeah, that's just how it is - it will start to show through in your playing but beware of expecting too much too soon - it's entirely a matter of practice, and it takes years to get eom properly together to a basic level across all your digits, let alone master it for both hands. Good luck!
So it's gonna take a long time for this to help any? I practice a lot so...
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Hm, maybe a "thought experiment" would work....

Imagine the muscles that move your fingers are nearly paralyzed. All you can do
with them is let them drape over the fretboard. The only other thing you can do
with them is, when they make contact with a string, is slightly stiffen them so they
don't collapse.

Now try and play. Since you "can't" move your fingers, you'll have to make micro-tilt
adjustments with your wrist to get them to the right place. Relax your arm so that
it's "dead weight" is applying most of the force to fret the string through the stiffened
finger.

Naturally your fingers are going to move some, but it might give you the general
feel of motion economy at higher speeds. To me it kind of feels like my fingers don't
even move.
Quote by edg
Hm, maybe a "thought experiment" would work....

Imagine the muscles that move your fingers are nearly paralyzed. All you can do
with them is let them drape over the fretboard. The only other thing you can do
with them is, when they make contact with a string, is slightly stiffen them so they
don't collapse.

Now try and play. Since you "can't" move your fingers, you'll have to make micro-tilt
adjustments with your wrist to get them to the right place. Relax your arm so that
it's "dead weight" is applying most of the force to fret the string through the stiffened
finger.

Naturally your fingers are going to move some, but it might give you the general
feel of motion economy at higher speeds. To me it kind of feels like my fingers don't
even move.

Thanks. That was ridiculously helpful.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
So it's gonna take a long time for this to help any? I practice a lot so...

Oh, no, it's effective very quickly, just don't expect to be able to play fast with perfect technique so quickly.

And well done edg, for being so helpful! *high 5* I haven't done that and i might now, even though my eom is quite good...
i noticed kg plays like this in the pick of destiny. does it mean to keep all your fingers relaxed and not tensed up?