Poll: Distortion or Overdrive?
Poll Options
View poll results: Distortion or Overdrive?
Overdrive
21 49%
Distortion
22 51%
Voters: 43.
hey i wanna know what you guitar players prefer:
overdrive or distortion?

for me, i prefer overdrive because it sounds so natural and punchy. the way you pick and the attack and everything is audible with overdrive whereas with distortion, your signal is just digitally modified.
also, with overdrive you can turn up the gain on the amp but get a clean sound if you turn down the volume on the guitar. so switching from clean to overdrive is easy.
you can try to do the same with distortion but it doesnt work the same way because the minimized signal from the guitar would still be distorted and sound funky.
Overdrive is too weak. Have to have that crushing sound for rhythm and hot sound for solo's.
i dont prefer either. ones soft clipping ones hard clipping. you use them both. theres no reason to favor one because there are situations for each one. you wouldnt use a distortion on a soft dreamy song, and you wouldnt use just an overdrive if your seriously goin at it crazy.
Get this:

Overdrive and Distortion are only different things when talking about pedals. In terms of amplification, distortion is a result of overdrive: when the signal gets too strong, the wave begins to distort.

In terms of pedals, 'overdrive' and 'distortion' just describe different gain levels. In reality, an 'overdrive' tone can transform into a 'distortion' tone.

I personally like something with plenty of gain, but a natural saturation. Listen to "Be my Baby" by Motorhead.
overdrive is for girlymen
no seriously
i cant tell a difference, this is the most retarded thread ive ever seen
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
They are the same thing. By adding more gain to a overdrive sound, you get distortion. I have a gain sound about equal to what Children of Bodom use, but the only pedal I use is a TS-9 with the volume up all the way, and the gain at 9 o clock.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by ginjaninja
BOTH, FOR DIFFERENT REaSONS.

This.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The same damn thing. It's like asking if someone prefers dogs to dachshunds.

Low gain FTW, unless I need fuzz.