I decided I am going to do something useful these holidays and I decided that I wanted to get more in touch with the fretboard. I started playing around 2 years ago but I didn't practice much. It wasn't until I moved with a couple of kids from school in the middle of last year that I started practising more often. Some of the girls I live with play guitar and we used to play after school and stuff. One of my housemates came in without knowing anything on the guitar and she's better than me now. She doesn't even own a guitar and she practises on either mine or one of her other friends. I figured that if she can do it, then with some determination I can too.

Right now I'm pretty much still a beginner. I know a couple of open chords, barre chords and power chords. I used to learn by finding the tab of the song I want to learn but I figured I might need to get a little more technical. What should I be working on next? And how much practice time will be suitable for me to do everyday? If anyone also has some web links that might help, I would appreciate that too
learn new chords,such as 7th chords,diminished chords,11th chords etc`..
try to learn theory mainly.. how do you build chords.. scales and that stuff
and of course implement all that knowledge by learning new songs,maybe compose some yourself
Quote by becker89
learn new chords,such as 7th chords,diminished chords,11th chords etc`..
try to learn theory mainly.. how do you build chords.. scales and that stuff
and of course implement all that knowledge by learning new songs,maybe compose some yourself

Although that is a lot easier said than done!
study the notes on the fretboard, by starting with the open strings (e b g d a e) and then learn the easiest scale = C, which is C D E F G A B C.... and just learn the formation of chords, like how to build one and that will lead you to knowing chords that bring about a different tone...and possibly come up with great songs, and run scales up and down until your fingers adjust to stretching and to playing playing smoothly...a good guitarist should know how to play rythm (chords and such) and lead (improvising/solo) any questions, just ask!
Quote by MaXiMuse
Em-scale, up and down, and keep doing that faster. Or check some lesson on YouTube or UG.

that's going to achieve nothing.

TS, keep learning songs and concentrate on improving your chord technique. At the same time start learning a little bit about the thoery behind the guitar, you'll progress a lot faster if you actually understand what it is you're doing. Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the Columns section are a great place to start.

Don't worry about playing scales so much, they're just a means to an end. Focus on actually understanding how they function musically, that's what they're for. Too many guitarists get all obsessed with simply playing scales like it'll magically make them a better guitarist when it does nothing of the sort. It's far more productive to consentrate on playing songs, or exercises that have some practical application when it comes to actually playing. Scales are musical, but they aren't music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 26, 2008,