Okay I have been playing the bass for a while now and there is only one thing I can't seem to get down... Harmonics, mostly artificial harmonics... can someone tell me how to do them? any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks to everyone, I FIGURED IT OUT!!! well artificial ones, fretting one tapping another.... what is a natural one?

EDIT: artificial harmonics are also known as tapped harmonics which are explained above and natural harmonics are where you pretty much mute the string over the divider, just to clear up confusion... thanks to all who helped...
Last edited by eadgtotheend at Jun 30, 2008,
em i dont know much either but rest your finger in between frets right on the divider and dont push down on the string just rest it and pluck the string

Play it in between 5th and 6th, 7th and 8th, 9th and 10th , 12th and 13th they get the best sound
artificial harmonic as in pinch harmonics, or natural harmonics that arent on the 5th 7th or 12th fret?

ive never heard of a bassist using pinches so im assuming the latter. just put you fretting finger lightly touching the string right over the spot where the harmonic is. let it rip.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Kev_ Bass Funk
em i dont know much either but rest your finger in between frets right on the divider and dont push down on the string just rest it and pluck the string

Play it in between 5th and 6th, 7th and 8th, 9th and 10th , 12th and 13th they get the best sound

now i dont play bass but what you just described are natural harmonics....the artificial or pinch harmonics is when you take the pick and put ur thumb slightly over the edge and pluck the string. after you pluck the string ur thumb should clip the string casuing a squealy sound thus giving you the pinch (artificial) harmonic..if you use enough distortion u can just use ur thumb and not a pick for these..at least tht is what i hve found..kepp in mind however that i am a guitar player and have never played bass but i assume it is about the same
Artificial harmonics as in tapped harmonics? Just fret the 6th fret with your left hand and then tap the 10th fret with your right hand, directly on the fret, and very quickly. It should produce a harmonic. It's possible on other fret combinations, but I know for sure that the 6th and 10th make one.
Quote by TK1
artificial harmonic as in pinch harmonics, or natural harmonics that arent on the 5th 7th or 12th fret?

ive never heard of a bassist using pinches so im assuming the latter. just put you fretting finger lightly touching the string right over the spot where the harmonic is. let it rip.

Lots of people do artificial harmonics, few use pinches. What guitarists call pinches are actually artificial harmonics and can be done on any string instrument. Basically you put your finger down on a position and then somehow cut off the string with your right hand (Jaco used his thumb, Steve Bailey uses his pointer finger). The point you cut off has to be in a certain position, like halfway between the fret and the bridge. It's the same ratio as natural harmonics, the nut is just moved up to a fret.
im a guitarist and started on bass. im getting another after i buy my car. but yeah i was always being stupid and playing metal and thought well if the guitarist can do it then i can to. so i figured out how to do pinch harmonics on the bass. thats why im soo good at them on guitar.
Gear:
1982 Washburn T-bird
2007 BC Rich Warbeast
An artificial harmonic os one created when you are fretting a note on the same sting while producing as harmonic of that note, however you may do it. One example being pinch harmonics.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
ahem, to the people who have never heard of pinch harmonics on bass, i do them when my guitarist friend does them in songs, doesn't come through too much, but hey it makes me feel cool and I dont lose rhythm.
and they key to harmonics is more treble on your amp settings, tone up enough, and you are probably clumsily pushing down the string too much, just let your finger kind of be touching it very slightly and then lift it off, the fundamental is muted and the harmonic rings if you did it right
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^