After calling two music stores (that weren't guitar center) to get an estimate on how much it would be to get the electronics replaced in my Sheraton, I got anywhere from $100 to $200. This seems insane! The guitar itself is $600...

Is this something I can do by myself if I have no experience with this stuff? This friggin sucks

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that my grandpa used to work on televisions for 30+ years. He knows a ton of stuff about electrical components so I am assuming he can help me. Once I get the pots and stuff out, is it just a soldering job and putting it back in? Why is it so expensive?!?!
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Jun 26, 2008,
Do you know how to solder?
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
The guy on the phone said it is about 2 hours of labor so it all must be in getting the electronics out of the guitar and back in. Is there something I can read?

and as I said, I have no experience, but my grandpa would help me
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

i swapped all the electronics out of my brothers guitar for new stuff when i put in his new pickup. ended up costing me $14. was my first time soldering and was fairly easy/painless.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Yeah, it's not a difficult procedure. There's even Youtube videos that show you how to do it.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
There is no access cover like a solid body. So all the work has to be done thru the fholes on the front. It really complicates what is a simple job. You gotta hold stuff with bent coat hangers and strings. Its one of the problems that comes with a hollow body. So you can see how frustrating it can be by doing it yourself, leave it as is or pay the money. Your not going to get somebody to do it for less money.
Would pots have anything to do with volume loss? Basically, every once and a while I will get this weird volume loss right while I am playing and my tone will get a little crackly. Therefore, last night I ordered a brand new Lava ELC cable and 2 new SED Winged C power tubes. I am just saying that if this doesn't fix the problem then it is my electronics. Some people on the forums said to replace the switch but I figure that I might as well replace everything. Can someone elaborate on this?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Agreed. All of the work has to be done by pulling the parts out through the "f" holes. Getting them back in and poking through the proper body holes is a nasty job using guide wires and string. It's definitely a labor intensive job.

A friend of mine recently added a treble bleed mod to his Sheraton. I sat in the other room while he cursed for over an hour!
Why don't they just add a small cavity in the back if it is such a hard job you know? I understand that the solid wood body is the reason for its warmth but a small cavity in the back couldn't do THAT much to the tone. I guess I will just have to wait for my cables and tubes to get here before I do anything.
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

It totally sucks, I fought a brutal battle swapping the pups on my 335 copy. working through the f-holes is hard enough, but wiring to the switch on the upper horn, and chaning the jack is even worse. After several procedures on the damn guitar I had everything done... a few months later some connection comes loose and I get this staticy crap... I finally took it in and paid $100 (after tax and new pots/ jack/etc, I had him upgrade everything) to a tech to reinstall them nice and cleanly with new electronics. My clone was worth less than $600 and I say the money is definately worth avoiding the hastle. If you don't have magical tiny hands, I say just pay to have it done.

edit* this is coming from a guy who loves to open up and work on his other guitars and amps, build effects, etc. just so you know how much working on semihollow guitars sucks.
It's a pain in the butt job. I helped a friend install new pickups in a Epiphone Sheraton. Took 3 hours to do an ordinarily 20 min job. Fighting to get stuff through the F holes sucks balls.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge