So, I play electric and my friend plays his electric-acoustic and sings. We have to plug in his guitar (we're using a cheap practice amp for now) so it can be heard and blended well with mine. Problem is then you can't hear the vocals, obviously. He was talking about buying an acoustic amp, but what I think we really need is something that can do both, but I don't know much about acoustic or vocals and what we'd need.

So what should we look into? An amp? A cheap PA? If it's a PA, will his guitar sound alright tonally plugged into it? Thanks!
PA would be perfect for that. Just have to cut the bass on the acoustic a bit because strings 4-6 can get kinda "boomy".
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Cheap PA in the 200W+ range will be great. There are plenty of dedicated acoustic amps with XLR mic inputs and channels, if size and weight is an issue or you play very small venues, but a simple PA is going to be cheaper.
Anyone have any specific units we should look at? Preferably on the cheaper side of things.
I bought this over a year ago and use it about every day. Alot of bang for the buck. Use it with all my acoustics and acoustic models in my Variax 700. It also accepts my POD well. There are PA's that are alot better but not at this price. I don't use alot of the EFX in it, but the 7 band EQ is great.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-620-Plus-S710-PA-Package?sku=630486
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I bought this over a year ago and use it about every day. Alot of bang for the buck. Use it with all my acoustics and acoustic models in my Variax 700. It also accepts my POD well. There are PA's that are alot better but not at this price. I don't use alot of the EFX in it, but the 7 band EQ is great.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-620-Plus-S710-PA-Package?sku=630486

Doesn't look too bad. I know they also have a $200 model.

Here's another dumb question: If we're playing with an electric, and electric-acoustic and vocals should we also mic the electric just to balance out the sound? So it's all coming from the same place?
I just started to mic my Vj through this thing so I can't really give you a go on that one way or another yet. I have a really cheap mic and am going to get a shure tomorrow. It's not bad, but I want it alot better then where I am right now. I'm also trying to dial in my POD so at this point it still a bit complicated.

Edit: this does have 6 channels so you can plug in a tone of stuff. All my buddies come over here now when we play just because it's so much easier. mic'ing or not it comes down to the tone your looking for. Mic'ing a tube amp sounds better to most people then direct plug in to a digital source.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jun 27, 2008,