Alright guys. The Peavey ValveKing has been getting alot of crap on this forum lately. I am looking to get a new amp, something powerful, and with good tone. I play mostly rock and metal (classic metal). I play a Gibson Explorer, and I would like your opinions on which would be a better amp choice for me. I could go for the Peavey VK 212 or one of the Vox AD series. I would either be getting the AD100 combo, or the halfstack if were to go for the vox. People have been saying that the Vk is a really crappy tube amp, well is it better than a Vox SS which has tube preamps?
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
try the ADvtx series instead of the advt. the 60 watt version costs about as much as the 100 watt advt, and sounds twice as good and has twice the tone shaping options. i have the ad15vt and it does metal just fine, but the ad60vtx (or 120) are the creme of the crop when it comes to modeling amps. there's no beating them. they're well worth it over most competetive tube amps.

if you can swing it though, check ebay for peavey XXX'es. they go from $300-$700 on the different models. i got my 120 watter for $600 and couldn't be happier with it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Go with the valveking, it may not be a mesa boogie or a marsahll, but it's still a great tube amp for the money, and sounds great. I've been playing one at a local music store for weeks now, and I'm about to go pick it up today
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
Go with the valveking, it may not be a mesa boogie or a marsahll, but it's still a great tube amp for the money, and sounds great. I've been playing one at a local music store for weeks now, and I'm about to go pick it up today

meh, i found the VK to be sub-par at high gain. it has no balls, just fizz when you try to take it past judas priest heavy-ness. it's cleans were pretty good though, as was the lower gain stuff. still wasn't blown away.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Valveking kicks ass!

I don't know why everyone hates it. I actually prefer it to some Mesa, Marshall, Randall and Hughes n' Kettner amps I've tried, and it costs a third of the price of any of those.

On the second channel, without boost, it's great for rhythm and lead.
Quote by gpderek09
meh, i found the VK to be sub-par at high gain. it has no balls, just fizz when you try to take it past judas priest heavy-ness. it's cleans were pretty good though, as was the lower gain stuff. still wasn't blown away.

Thats true, but my friend actualy has the 112. He switched out the tubes, to groove tubes, and that helped alot. And regardless, the VK owns any SS amp.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
I wouldn't say "any" SS (cue Randall RG100) but its pretty decent. I think general consensus is that the VK112 is better than the VK212
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
That seems to be the case here on UG, but on reviews elsewhere I've heard that the 212 is much better. I would be fine with 50 watts of tube power, I just didn't know that the 112 was considered better. Maybe now I will look at it in a different perspective.

So you guys think the VK 112 would be the best choice then?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by Chance125
That seems to be the case here on UG, but on reviews elsewhere I've heard that the 212 is much better. I would be fine with 50 watts of tube power, I just didn't know that the 112 was considered better. Maybe now I will look at it in a different perspective.

So you guys think the VK 112 would be the best choice then?

no. really it's not very tonaly flexible. you get one decent clean, one low gain sound, one classic rock sound, and a fizzy metal. if you go for the vox ad60vtx you get several very nice cleans, several very nice low gain tones, several solid crunch tones, and some sick metal tones.

or i would look for a used XXX, you get the basically the same clean as with the VK, but better crunch and sick metal tones.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I may be mistaken, but both of those models run for around 600 bucks, no?

Why not instead snag a Crate V50, a Peavey Classic 30 or a Delta Blues? Especially for the genres you will be playing (Rock and Classic Metal).

The Crate costs as much as the VK 112, but sounds better.
What about the VK 112 with a speaker change? Celestions possibly? I'm wondering how it will sound after mods, like speaker changes or maybe tube changes.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Hey dude I'd seriously think about it because I've bought a used vk212 and now I regret it i got it for 450 and i mean its 100 watts JUST TOOO LOUD there's two inputs 1 and 2 (low power) 10 db less i use that and i've never gone past 3 on the clean and 1.5 on the lead THATS HOW LOUD IT IS, if your not an intermediate guitarist or live away from neibhors i dont don't recommend getting an amp THIS LOUD i'm selling my amp it has a one year warranty and is IN MINT CONDITION all stock setup or im gonna go return it to GC i've had it for ~3 weeks and im just tired of it i mean im learning chords. NO ONE, i repeat no one needs to practice ****ing a,b,c,d,e,f,g chords at that volume. It's impossible and plus i dont wanna get evicted by my townhouse community. In all honesty if you wanna buy the vk badly i'd get the vk112 and change speaker and tubes = less speakers = cheaper cost of change
Celestion vintage 30's sound good? I'm probably going to get the VK 112 for my birthday coming up sorta soon, unless I can manage to sell one of my guitars before then. After I get it, I suppose I will upgrade the speaker if it doesn't sound all that great. Thanks for your input guys.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Instead of a Speaker change right off the bat (even though it will sound great) I'd recommend that you get a Tubescreamer of sorts and a MXR 10 band EQ. No other combination of things has ever changed my tone so much. Everything is so much more clear and crisp and tight.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by imgooley
I may be mistaken, but both of those models run for around 600 bucks, no?

Why not instead snag a Crate V50, a Peavey Classic 30 or a Delta Blues? Especially for the genres you will be playing (Rock and Classic Metal).

The Crate costs as much as the VK 112, but sounds better.

This. Classic 30 ftw
Vox is decent considering it's a ss. The Vk is kinda crap, at least imo
The TS9 tubescreamer? I've been wanting one of those for a while. I don't know anything about EQ pedals though. What exactly does that MXR 10 band do?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by Chance125
The TS9 tubescreamer? I've been wanting one of those for a while. I don't know anything about EQ pedals though. What exactly does that MXR 10 band do?

uh, well, the eq on your amp, bass middle treble, is a 3 band eq. 10 bands, gives you more control over more specific frequencies.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565