What do you think the best way to memorize the notes? By string, by frets, what? Ive been using Fretpro. Anybody have any tips on memorizing the notes?
Use the search bar ffs...this exact same question gets asked every other day and I'm getting sick of pasting this answer into every sodding thread

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3109704

1 - learn the open strings...E, A, D, G, B, E
2 - familiarise yourself with the pattern of notes along the low E string, you don't even need to learn it by heart yet, just have it for reference.

E F F# G G# A Bb B C D Eb

3 - realise that the 12 fret is the octave of the open string, and therefore the same note.
4 - realise that the pattern of intervals is constant, so 12 th fret onwards is identical to open string onwards.

... as far as working out notes goes you are currently never more than 6 frets away from a reference note. However, counting along 6 frets is kind of clunky and not particularly easy, but it's a start.

5 - learn the notes that correspond to the next open string, so 5th fret on the E, A, D and B strings, 4th fret on the G

...all of a sudden you're never more than 3 frets way from a known reference note. All of a sudden working out the notes you don't know became a lot easier...almost twice as easy, in fact.

6 - locate the other octaves of the open notes, first the ones on the next string... 7th fret on the A, D, G and high E strings, 8th fret on the B string. Then the octaves two strings away so 2nd fret on the D and G strings, 3rd fret on the B and top E.

7 - in the same way, locate the octaves of the notes you learned in step 5

...all of a sudden you're now never more than 1 fret away from a known reference note, which basically means you know them all!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
between each note is a whole step, exept B&C and E&F they are half steps
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Quote by powerpiker
between each note is a whole step, exept B&C and E&F they are half steps

Umm, that's not exactly clear.

There is a half-step between every note, so to speak. A to A# is a half-step just as B to C is a half-step.
The best way to memorize the fretboard is to learn to read music. Forget about just trying to memorize the names of the notes - that's not going to stick because the information isn't attached to anything. When you read music you're playing a SONG most of the time which is the most musical way to do it. I tried learning the fretboard through rote memorization and through fretboard patterns but it never stuck. However, when I learned to read music on the guitar and worked up some songs, I realized that I had learned the locations of the notes without thinking about it. It was kind of like a side-effect of learning to read music. Knowing the locations of all the notes reinforced my knowledge of fretboard patterns for scales which made me a better improviser. It seems kind of roundabout, but it will totally work - by learning to read pre-written pieces, you'll become a better improviser and overall guitar player.
Last edited by beastraeatsall at Jun 26, 2008,