Hey guys

So i've set up my sound for some recording, and it sounds awesome in my ears, but when i mic it up its not the same and normally sounds awful.

I'm using a Dynamic and a condenser to mic it up.

How can i make it sound the same on the recording as it does in real life?

Thanks
TM
^ Wharfedale SM57/8 copy and a T Bone LDC, both budget things,

i've moved them around a lot, but i tend to have the dynamic off centre about an inch away and the condenser a little more central but further away. is it a question of positioning then?

TM
Well, it's really a question of a lot of factors, just one of which is the placement of the mics. This is a notoriously difficult aspect of recording, to get an amp sounding the way it does in the room. It could be the budget mics, or other hardware. What are you using to get your signal into the computer? Are you trying to record high gain sounds ?
There is poetry in despair.
Yeah it's high(ish) gain sounds i'm struggling with.

I'm using the Alesis IO14 firewire thing.

TM
are you checking to make sure the input signal isn't clipping either at the interface or at the computer?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If you're looking to sound exactly like it does in your room, the best way to go is to place a single condenser or ribbon with as flat a response as you can find, run it through a super transparent pre and into quality A/D converters.

I've done alright with this method with my own Cascade Ribbons through MOTU pres/converters, but I've done it at other locations with a Earthworks reference mic through a Grace M802 into a Lynx box, it sounded damned near exactly like it did in the tracking room.
here's what I would do.

Make sure your guitar sounds good in the room in the first place. And turn the amp up pretty loud.

Hopefully you have an SM-57. If not, any dynamic mic will work okay.

get it on a stand and place it right in front of the VERY CENTER of the horn on your amp. Make sure its as close as possible.

I dont like using a condensor mic with the dynamic b/c it causes phase problems that are a pain in the butt to deal with.

turn the gain down a pretty good amount. High gain isnt always good for recording. Try recording multiple lower-gain settings together. It'll give you a nice powerful sound.
bear in mind after the mic placement and hardware problems, your computer speakers or monitors could be colouring the sound, i found that with mine :S
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck norris

A lot