Hey guys,
theres this part at 1:14 in the song right after the verse buildup where its just the guitarist and he's playng this really cool riff with muted strings.
|-----------------------|-----------------------|---------------------|-----------------------|
|-15-15---15-10-10---10-|-12-12---12-14-14---14-|-12-12--12-14-14--14-|-10-10---10-15-15------|
|-x--x----x--x--x----x--|-x--x----x--x--x----x--|-x--x---x--x--x---x--|-x--x----x--x--x-------|
|-x--x----x--x--x----x--|-x--x----x--x--x----x--|-x--x---x--x--x---x--|-x--x----x--x--x-------|
|-14-14---14-9--9----9--|-10-10---10-12-12---12-|-10-10--10-12-12--12-|-9--9----9--14-14------|
|-----------------------|-----------------------|---------------------|-----------------------|

thats the actual part, and i got the playing of it down,
but he has this really cool amp tone and i was wondering if any had any ideas for me to get a better tone with this on my ME-50

heres a youtube link in case you dont have the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFSYf-sgBIw

go to about 1:20 in the video and hopefully you can offer some input

thanks for taking the time to help guys
My Gear:
Fender American 60's Strat
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Homebrew Crystal Bawl Wah
hm, its the guy playing the gibson, right?

at the beginning he turns up the bottom right pot, thus the neck volume. so (at least in the beginning he is using a neck hum)

thats all i can tell, sorry. hopefully someone better than me can help.
Guitars:
Mitchell MD-100SCE Acoustic/electric
Gibson SGJ 2014

TC MojoMojo (it'll arrive eventually) > TC Hall of Fame > Orange Micro Terror stack

my tube preamp project idea
A Visaul Sound Jekyll & Hyde Pedal is a great starting point for The Strokes sound. I'm not sure if there is some very light fuzz there but I get the feeling the amp they recorded on in the studio for this song was turned down quite low.
pickup position 4 I think (bridge and middle pickup), bit more mids, and somewhat neutral treble and bass and a little roll back on the tone.

If you've got amp modelling on that ME-50 you should try something that sounds like an ac30
A fairly clean amp tone is best, ideally a cranked AC30 or Fender Twin, boosted with a Big Muff, treble booster (or a Tubescreamer-esque pedal with the 'level' and 'treble' quite high). The ME-50 does a reasonable good approximation of all these, though if you want to use that tone frequently I'd ditch the Boss and buy indivdual pedals .

With a dual humbucker guitar or tele try the mid position, perhaps with the neck turned down a little, and on a strat position 3 or 4 will probably yield the best compromise - roll off the tone pot a bit too.
If you get to play an actuall AC30, I think top boost channel 75% volume blended with a half volume clean channel would help miles into nailing it.
wow thanks a lot guys

you guys all know your stuff

very much appreciated (:
My Gear:
Fender American 60's Strat
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Homebrew Crystal Bawl Wah
Ive found that using a thin pick brings me closer to that sound... also turning my mids way down makes it seem far awayish