I've been concentrating on shred a lot for like the past year, but i really want to start broadening my guitaring, so could you suggest any songs or exersises that could help me in either Jazz or Fingerstyle guitar? I know i will have to have good theory knowledge for Jazz, and i do.

Thanks!
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Take 5

or more advanced

Giant Steps.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
what sort of fingerstyle picking do you want to learn?

A bit of classical would be good, but perhaps general acoustic, such as blues and folk

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

Quote by BobChicken
A bit of classical would be good, but perhaps general acoustic, such as blues and folk

well, I can't think of any realtively easy classical songs off of my head, but for folk style wuite a bit of Bob Dylans early work involves pretty simple fingerpicking on open chords, and of course theres stairway to heaven, which is how I got the basics down. Greensleeves is a pretty easy tune that can be fingerpicked as well, although I've seen some arrangements of it that are really complex.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well, I can't think of any realtively easy classical songs off of my head, but for folk style wuite a bit of Bob Dylans early work involves pretty simple fingerpicking on open chords, and of course theres stairway to heaven, which is how I got the basics down. Greensleeves is a pretty easy tune that can be fingerpicked as well, although I've seen some arrangements of it that are really complex.

I can play basic fingerpicking, but can you think of anything a bit more complex?

Quote by phlip999

Quote by BobChicken
I can play basic fingerpicking, but can you think of anything a bit more complex?

hmm name a fairly common song that's probably at you max skill level as far as fingerpicking is concerned.

try this start at whatever speed you can play it cleanly at and work up, i forget the actual tempo for this one, and it isn't marked, and this should be played in the classical style.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jun 26, 2008,
Spanish Romance is a good fingerstyle Beginner song.

Don't underestimate the importance of scale runs on classical guitar. They are very important, even though they are not as common in arpeggio-style songs. And make sure you develop correct technique. Either a few lessons from a teacher, or a book will do.
I don't know of a "jazz exercise" other than learning all your scales (look at my sig for that!). Really learning jazz is just done by LISTENING TO SO MUCH JAZZ YOUR HEAD SPINS (I put that in caps cause it's important) and by playing. Grab something like Jamey Abersold Vol. 1 "Learning to Play and Improvise Jazz" and Vol. 54 "Maiden Voyage"

Work with those two and you'll at the least be on your way. Also, learn your chords, um....I don't know any good books or sites or that stuff, cause I just learned it all from teachers and by figuring things out myself.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
hmm name a fairly common song that's probably at you max skill level as far as fingerpicking is concerned.

try this start at whatever speed you can play it cleanly at and work up, i forget the actual tempo for this one, and it isn't marked, and this should be played in the classical style.

Well i can play pretty much all of Ocean by John Butler, with just the fastest bits i cant do

Quote by phlip999

Quote by BobChicken
Well i can play pretty much all of Ocean by John Butler, with just the fastest bits i cant do

yeah then go for the one I linked, and remember to play it the proper classical way and not using the claw hammer technique or anything like that.

Last.fm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqTLkgImAdU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHhfBnbdv6A

Any of the guitarists from the European fingerstyle movement of the 60's & 70's:

Dave Evans, Bert Jansch, Peter Finger, Leo Wijnkamp Jr., John Renbourn, Peter Finger, and of course, Davey Graham.

They're all fossils by now, but you can pick up a great compilation with all of the names that I listed from Sanachie Record's: The Art of the Fingerstyle Guitar. There is also a tab book available.
Davey Graham!!!

Great suggestion.

And Giant Steps is not something to start jazz on. The melody is very easy, but could you solo over it? I know there's no chance in hell I could. It's a hard piece. Something like Blue Bossa or Autumn Leaves which pretty much stay in one key are more accessible when it comes to jazz.

Good luck.
Are you talking about what those showoffs on youtube do to jazz standards?

I think its just playing the main melody with your thumbs (picking with your right thumb as well) and playing the chords over it with the rest of your fingers. I think. I'm not too good at it.

And BobChicken, your first quote in your sig really depresses me.
Quote by 5/4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqTLkgImAdU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHhfBnbdv6A

Any of the guitarists from the European fingerstyle movement of the 60's & 70's:

Dave Evans, Bert Jansch, Peter Finger, Leo Wijnkamp Jr., John Renbourn, Peter Finger, and of course, Davey Graham.

They're all fossils by now, but you can pick up a great compilation with all of the names that I listed from Sanachie Record's: The Art of the Fingerstyle Guitar. There is also a tab book available.

Wow. I must check out more of those artists.

YOu might be interested in "The Clap" by Yes or anything by Tommy Emmanuel.
Quote by demonofthenight

I think its just playing the main melody with your thumbs (picking with your right thumb as well) and playing the chords over it with the rest of your fingers. I think. I'm not too good at it.

I know =[ its so unfair

Quote by phlip999

Quote by demonofthenight

Oh you're talking about Chord-Melody style jazz guitar.

Yeah that stuff is freakin hard. You really really gotta know your chord theory, and how to build chords to do it and have it sound good. I've never seen a method on it, I've learned everything about it from teachers, and listening to it. But the basic premise is playing the melody on top and building the chords underneath. You don't necessarily have to play using your thumb, i use my pick and fingers sometimes if I want to do a lot of fills. For that kinda stuff, an easy tune would be Satin Doll, you can chord-melody the whole thing using the 1-2-3-4 string group. But really you gotta know all your 4-note chords on all the string groups, drop 2s and 3s.
Quote by Guitar_Theory
Oh you're talking about Chord-Melody style jazz guitar.

Yeah that stuff is freakin hard. You really really gotta know your chord theory, and how to build chords to do it and have it sound good. I've never seen a method on it, I've learned everything about it from teachers, and listening to it. But the basic premise is playing the melody on top and building the chords underneath. You don't necessarily have to play using your thumb, i use my pick and fingers sometimes if I want to do a lot of fills. For that kinda stuff, an easy tune would be Satin Doll, you can chord-melody the whole thing using the 1-2-3-4 string group. But really you gotta know all your 4-note chords on all the string groups, drop 2s and 3s.
I know all my chords (well I think), and the ones that I dont feel like fingering I simplify. I'm going to see

Thanks, I'll look through my fake books for that song.
Ugh, I used to like that guy but then I discovered Lenny Breau and my world changed completely.

Check out Martin Taylor's record Artistry for amazing chord melody.
Quote by Guitar_Theory
Wow if you know all your Maj-Min-Min7b5-Dim7 chords on all the string groups and in all inversions then you're WAAAAAAY ahead of a lot of us here
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic...

Quote by confusius
Check out Martin Taylor's record Artistry for amazing chord melody.
How the hell does that guy keep that beat?

Heres the link for anyone too lazy to use google: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4II6ymaWuI
Quote by demonofthenight
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic...

It was just sarcasm :P

A good way of learning fingerstyle really is to learn all your Drop-2 and Drop-3 chords in all their inversions, cause you'll need to know them if you want to make up your own 'arrangements' i guess you could call them.

I find reading jazz chord-melody transcriptions to be kinda cumbersome and boring, so I just make up my own and listen to other guys for ideas.
Buy a fake book. It has all the standards in it. You'll have to arrange it by yourself, but that will certainly help greatly with your understanding of jazz harmony.