im considering getting a 5 string.
im bored of my kinda irritating crafter cruiser 4 string, want to play more metal, etc.
one question-
What do 5 stringers do about drop d? drop b, c, &c#?
not been able to work it out yet...
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Either get thick strings and drop tune everything or, more commonly, play the lower notes down on the B string.

5 String Standard is BEADG, so it's all about learning the notes on the bottom string to avoid having to tune down the E string for D, C#, and C's.
sure.
but for example,
errrrr.
slither, by velvet revolver.
it involves a lot of *fret* *open* *fret* *open* on a drop d string.
that would be very difficult if not imposible to play on a be string, no?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Not really. You'd play the D on the bottom string, then just drop everything two frets to be played on the E string. If it starts getting too high, you can jump up to the A. something like this:

G---------------------------------
D---------------------------------
A-------------3-------------------
E---1-2--4-5-----4-5--3---1-2-----
B-3-----3---3--3----3---3---------

Let's just hope I'm remembering all the notes correctly. <_<

EDIT: gimme a sec, formatted it wrong. there isnt a chord...
EDIT2: there.
ok.....
jus take some getting used to then.
hokely kokely ta for youre herlp.