Page 1 of 2
Just a bit of fun, this. There is basically only one rule; ONLY standard production models of standard electric guitars can be nominated. Otherwise it'll be way too complicated with people mentioning their custom-made guitar with twenty-six three-octave necks, eight pickups, built-in amp-modelling circuit, etc. I'll add that, while the Line 6 Variax is certainly a standard production model, I'm going to rule it out, partly because it's all computerized and snazzy, but mainly just because it'd win outright, and the thread would be very short and boring, and not open to much debate.

So we're basically talking about the following designs;

ES335

Flying V

Jaguar

Les Paul

LP/Strat hybrid

SG

Stratocaster

Super Strat

Telecaster

OK, so there are what I believe to be all the basic electric guitar designs, from which all other electric guitars are derived, in some way or another. There are even some in that list which are derived from others in that list (the SG is derived from the Les Paul, etc). However I included them anyway, as people would only moan. I decided give PRS' double-cut it's own mention, as It's equally derived from both the Les Paul and the Stratocaster, and arguably is not closer to one than the other. If anyone has another design which I forgot, or has any serious issues with any of the ones mentioned, then make your case. I think it's a pretty good list, without getting super-silly and mentioning every single guitar ever made. All guitars, to my mind, can be linked very closely to one of those designs.

What we ARE doing:

+We are debating which is the most versatile design. Which single design out of the bunch is the best suited for the most wide-array of genres and styles possible. Like if you worked in a function band on a cruise ship which covered many genres, and you could only have one single guitar.

What we are NOT doing:

-We are not debating which is the 'best' guitar or design, or which is your favourite. Such debates are completely pointless. It's a totally subjective thing, and whichever guitar you prefer has nothing to do with this topic.

-We are not debating brands, value for money, quality, etc. If you have some random Indonesian double-cutaway guitar, that has a somewhat Strat-like double-cut body, with three single-coils, and a vintage tremolo- just count it as a Stratocaster.

My nomination

Even though I'm a Les Paul man, the Stratocaster gets my vote. The SSS Strat has the most versatile pickup configuration out there, and it's shaped to perfection. It's not so big that upper-fret access is impeded by the body, but at the same time, it's not so small and pathetic that resonation is lost and there's no sustain or tone. On a standard SSS Stratocaster, you've got three single coils, but also two humbuckers, technically. Since the middle single coil is reverse-wound to the other two, positions 2 and 4 on the switchblade are humucking. Then of course you've got that tremolo which, while not double-locking, if you've got a good one, you can do dive bombs etc without worrying about tuning problems. Especially if you equip the guitar with locking machine heads and such.

I very nearly voted for the Jaguar, since it also has a wide array of tones. I find the Stratocaster's tones to be better suited to more things, though.
any HSS strat through a good enough amp will give you the sound you are looking for
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Strats can pretty much do anything...mine can at least
I have too much gear to fit!
Les pauls are used for all kinds of music...
but HSS strat can give you more types of tone.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
yeah, i'm gonna go with strat, cuz it's used for everything from metal to rock to jazz.
Id go for the PRS or Strat.
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
LP or SG. I find humbuckers are better for more kinds of music than single coils (yes, even when playing blues or jazz super-clean).

Though for what it's worth, a semi-hollow mahogany Strat with coil-tapped humbuckers in 24.75" scale would be the best...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
An HSS superstrat is probably the most versatile, given that it can do shred/high gain metal well and also do blues/jazz/softer styles of music.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by MrFlibble
LP or SG. I find humbuckers are better for more kinds of music than single coils (yes, even when playing blues or jazz super-clean).

Though for what it's worth, a semi-hollow mahogany Strat with coil-tapped humbuckers in 24.75" scale would be the best...
I disagree. Anytime I try to finderpick on a bucker pup it doesn't sound as defined as a single.

An HSS Strat has a bucker anyways I do agree about the short scale, that's just a personal preference though
Isn't super strat an Ibanez Jem? xD

I go with Strat. They're perfect for anything, at least in my case. They have wonderful tones.
I think thats just a picture he used, it is a jem but he means any superstrat, so basically any strat body made by ibanez, esp, jackson ect.
Quote by Copilot911
I think thats just a picture he used, it is a jem but he means any superstrat, so basically any strat body made by ibanez, esp, jackson ect.

Yeah. None of the pictures are meant as a 'this and nothing else', sort of thing. Just guides. The Fender Showmaster is a Super Strat, as are most of Ibanez' electrics, etc. I forgot the Explorer, does anyone give a toss?
Fender Strats, as they are the most easy to mod.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
The Telecaster is pretty versatile. It has been used in almost every genre of music. Far too much is the Telecaster slapped with the "country twang" label. It's actually capable of a lot of sounds.
i find jackson's in the hss configuration to be super versatile, but they are no match to the fender strat hss when it comes to versatility
im going to go with the telecaster.
a bit higher output bridge pickup which works better for more high gain type stuff , where the neck pickup is really rich sounding if you roll off the tone a bit.
good fret access, great playability.
Lately I've been checking out the Yamaha Troy van Leeuwen signature guitar. Its based on a 335 with a couple of esthetic changes. Pickup configuration is 3 P90's, with two seperate pickup selectors.

One selector goes Bridge---->bridge and neck--->neck
The other goes middle pickup off---->on but out of phase and then simply on.

And seperate volume controls for the neck and bridge pickup I think.

Its a maple top and sides with a mahogany center block(I think) and a rosewood fretboard.

So far it seems to me that its an extremely versatile guitar. The p90's get to somewhat of a middleground between single coils and humbuckers (debatable), the switching system provides for wide array of sonic possibilities. And the semi hollow body with center block, though more feedback prone than a true solidbody, can handle a bit more gain than true hollowbodies, thus being able to pull off a wide array of genres.

For a low price (700 euro's) you get a machine that in my opinion, can handle everything but the extremes of each spectrum, and handle it well.

edit:

oh and it has a bigsby!
Last edited by Revhain at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by peever
im going to go with the telecaster.
a bit higher output bridge pickup which works better for more high gain type stuff , where the neck pickup is really rich sounding if you roll off the tone a bit.
good fret access, great playability.

This. With HSS Strat coming in a very close second
+1 on the HSS strat design for versatility.

I think it is more versatile than the telecaster because it has a vintage trem and a third pickup. It is more versatile than the SSS strat due to the humbucker. The HSH strat is probably in the same league re: versatility, but I don't have enough experience playing one to say with certainty.

And no, IMO two hum-cancelling single coils do not produce the same tones as a humbucker: the humbucker crunch isn't the same in hum-cancelling pairs of single coils, and the single coil trebly jangle & picking sensitivity isn't as present in the humbucker.
Quote by Steve BP
+1 on the HSS strat design for versatility.

And no, IMO two hum-cancelling single coils do not produce the same tones as a humbucker: the humbucker crunch isn't the same in hum-cancelling pairs of single coils, and the single coil trebly jangle & picking sensitivity isn't as present in the humbucker.

I would agree that it's perhaps different to a lot of humbuckers, but I personally still think positions 2 and 4 on an SSS Strat still sound like a humbucker. They buck hum, and produce a thicker, fatter tone. Probably not quite so much as your standard humbucker, but still. The HSS Strat completely losing the single coil tone in the bridge position. So as far as pure versatility is concerned, the HSS Strat has less tones than the SSS Strat.
Quote by Siren Silently
Combining the two pickup's via selector is what he means.

I'll vote for the telecaster.

still nowhere near a humbucker though, unless we're talking series switching.
I think having a strat with a humbucker at the bridge would do the trick?
oh this is simple.... PRS 513..... check it out...

http://www.prsguitars.com/513/index.html

no other guitar (that I've seen) is as versitile (keeping in mind the requirement that it must be a production guitar)....the only argument against that I could see is that it is 22 fret instead of 24, but come one.... THIRTEEN different pickup settings AND a trem....

too bad you'd have to mortgage your house to afford one....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by brianthemayan
oh this is simple.... PRS 513..... check it out...

http://www.prsguitars.com/513/index.html

no other guitar (that I've seen) is as versitile (keeping in mind the requirement that it must be a production guitar)....the only argument against that I could see is that it is 22 fret instead of 24, but come one.... THIRTEEN different pickup settings AND a trem....

too bad you'd have to mortgage your house to afford one....

Quote by The red Strat.
prs 513 ?

^
2 humbuckers in a stock SSS strat ? do tell...

a little late

in Music Store in germany, they go for 3330 euros, which is about the same as a Gibson R8, for comparison. so you wouldn't really need to mortgage your house.
I'd say superstrat...

Its a SUPER-strat, so anything a strat can do, it should be able to also... in theory, better.
Strat!

Everyone from Rory Gallagher to Kurt Cobain played one!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Page 1 of 2