Hey guys,
I'm considering buying an EH Big Muff (NY-made version) for dark, heavy distortion as opposed to my generic-sounding DS-1. I also received a Dunlop DC-Brick for my birthday recently, and someone told me that if you plug a pedal with reverse polarity or something like that (I don't know **** about electronics) into the wrong power supply, it'll fry the power supply. So...

I've heard that EH's pedals are a bitch to power, and I was wondering if a Big Muff will be a problem to power with my DC Brick.

I can use 9 volt batteries, but it's a hassle to buy them when I run out and also costs a bit of money. Thanks.
you have to get one of those cable adapter things for a 1/8 jack. im pretty sure thats what the big muff has but you should get that clarified
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by nevermind94
Hey guys,
I'm considering buying an EH Big Muff (NY-made version) for dark, heavy distortion as opposed to my generic-sounding DS-1. I also received a Dunlop DC-Brick for my birthday recently, and someone told me that if you plug a pedal with reverse polarity or something like that (I don't know **** about electronics) into the wrong power supply, it'll fry the power supply. So...

I've heard that EH's pedals are a bitch to power, and I was wondering if a Big Muff will be a problem to power with my DC Brick.

I can use 9 volt batteries, but it's a hassle to buy them when I run out and also costs a bit of money. Thanks.

Big Muff Pi uses a specific power supply, which I'm sure you could find a non-EHX version of, but it's like some weird 1/8" jack.

However, the problem is I don't think you know what you're getting into with the Big Muff. It's a FUZZ/SUSTAIN pedal. Not dark distortion. Or anything like that. It's not going to give you sounds anywhere near another distortion pedal, because it kind of isn't one. It's going to give you very specific fuzzy tones that seriously don't work for everything. I'm trying to get rid of mine for a decent price because I didn't know it would be so unusable for my styles.

Just my opinion, but I hope you have tried it out before deciding.
_______
|||||||||||||||
^ +10000000000000 to dannyisokay

the big muff is a very one dimensional pedal. it's not very versatile outside of a fuzzy, nasty sound. if you want that particular sound its great but make sure you try it out first. look into the metal muff if you want distortion. i have it and its great, i dunno how dark it can get though... i use bright, vintage single coils with it haha.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Hmmm...yeah, I've sort of tried it out. It was okay, but I was just thinking of adding a unique sound to my rig. I don't HAVE to have it though. I definitely do want a chorus pedal though, and I know the Small Clone is pretty much the king of chorus pedals. Does that require the same 1/8" jack?
Quote by red star
^ +10000000000000 to dannyisokay

the big muff is a very one dimensional pedal. it's not very versatile outside of a fuzzy, nasty sound. if you want that particular sound its great but make sure you try it out first. look into the metal muff if you want distortion. i have it and its great, i dunno how dark it can get though... i use bright, vintage single coils with it haha.

+whatever to you too!

The Metal Muff is much more along the TS's lines. Seriously check that out first. They're VERY VERY different pedals.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by nevermind94
Hmmm...yeah, I've sort of tried it out. It was okay, but I was just thinking of adding a unique sound to my rig. I don't HAVE to have it though. I definitely do want a chorus pedal though, and I know the Small Clone is pretty much the king of chorus pedals. Does that require the same 1/8" jack?

yeah, most of those big ehx pedals require that the 1/8 adapter. but the micro and nano series have those industry standard boss-style jacks
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by nevermind94

I have the Big Muff and the Micro Pog, and each uses a different jack. You'll have to find the specifics on the pedal you want, because at this rate, they could have a different adapter for every pedal (jk, but you know...)!!
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by dannyisokay
Big Muff Pi uses a specific power supply, which I'm sure you could find a non-EHX version of, but it's like some weird 1/8" jack.

However, the problem is I don't think you know what you're getting into with the Big Muff. It's a FUZZ/SUSTAIN pedal. Not dark distortion. Or anything like that. It's not going to give you sounds anywhere near another distortion pedal, because it kind of isn't one. It's going to give you very specific fuzzy tones that seriously don't work for everything. I'm trying to get rid of mine for a decent price because I didn't know it would be so unusable for my styles.

Just my opinion, but I hope you have tried it out before deciding.

Yeah, if you really want some good heavy distortion, spend a little more and get a Boss Metal Zone.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by red star
yeah, most of those big ehx pedals require that the 1/8 adapter. the micro and nano series have those industry standard boss-style jacks

The nano series...ugh, I hate them. Talk about tone-killers. I don't want to say this so that I don't sound like a noob, but I'm aiming for a Nirvana-ish chorus sound, which is why I was going for the small clone. Actually, lets spice things up--I'm also looking for a Chili Peppers chorus.

My other option was the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, which I've tried out and sounds very nice.

Obviously the Small Clone would be better for Nirvana tones (one of Cobain's favorite pedals) and the CH-1 would most likely be better for the Chili Peppers (Frusciante uses an old Boss chorus pedal). I need some opinions, though...which would be better? CH-1 or Small Clone?
If you want to use the DC Brick and can't be bothered messing around with adaptors get the Little Big Muff, it can use a normal 9v power supply.

Quote by asfastasdark
Yeah, if you really want some good heavy distortion, spend a little more and get a Boss Metal Zone.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by nevermind94
The nano series...ugh, I hate them. Talk about tone-killers. I don't want to say this so that I don't sound like a noob, but I'm aiming for a Nirvana-ish chorus sound, which is why I was going for the small clone. Actually, lets spice things up--I'm also looking for a Chili Peppers chorus.

My other option was the Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, which I've tried out and sounds very nice.

Obviously the Small Clone would be better for Nirvana tones (one of Cobain's favorite pedals) and the CH-1 would most likely be better for the Chili Peppers (Frusciante uses an old Boss chorus pedal). I need some opinions, though...which would be better? CH-1 or Small Clone?

electro harmonix has the clone theory pedal which is pretty versatile. look it up on musiciansfriend. i played one at guitarcenter and it was pretty cool. lots of different tones. and most USEABLE chorus tones are pretty similar, you'd probably be happy with either the boss or the small clone. both are good pedals.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Back the hell up...are you people blind? I don't want another "distortion" pedal, I clearly said that I have a DS-1, I never said I was getting rid of it. The reason I want...or wanted...the big muff was to get a "dark" sound. "Dark" doesn't mean I want "metal" sounds, although I can see how the two terms could get mixed up. By "dark" I mean a fuzzy..."cloudy" sound, if you will. Sort of how a heavily distorted signal sounds with the tone pot on your guitar rolled back. I probably won't get it though.

Oh yeah, and the metal zone sucks ass through a twisty straw.
Quote by nevermind94

yes, the power input jack on the small clone is the same.

Also, the big muff isn't really a unique sound, its a tone which is instantly recognisable as "a big muff". What makes you think the small clone is king of chorus pedals? its definitely my favourite in terms of sound, but you might want a bit more tweakability, because like the big muff, its a 'one trick pony'.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by nevermind94
Back the hell up...are you people blind? I don't want another "distortion" pedal, I clearly said that I have a DS-1, I never said I was getting rid of it. The reason I want...or wanted...the big muff was to get a "dark" sound. "Dark" doesn't mean I want "metal" sounds, although I can see how the two terms could get mixed up. By "dark" I mean a fuzzy..."cloudy" sound, if you will. Sort of how a heavily distorted signal sounds with the tone pot on your guitar rolled back. I probably won't get it though.

Don't start getting mean... we're all trying to help you...

the Metal Muff isn't just for metal... it's just a really usable distortion pedal with Muff still in the name.

The Big Muff will give you that "rolled off" tone but you're probably not going to use the pedal that much. Or ever. When you have the pedal engaged, your rig will sound like a Big Muff, and that's it.
_______
|||||||||||||||
i think its time to ask this question:

what styles of music do you play?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by nevermind94

tone pot on guitar rolled back with distortion? that does basically sound like a big muff to me. im just saying that you should try it out first cause the big muff is a love/hate type of pedal... just make sure you love it before you buy it. and the reason i suggested the metal muff is because you said you wanted "dark, heavy distortion" not "fuzz". the metal muff is loads better than the ds1 when it comes to distortion so i figured it might be a go for you but apparently not so nevermind.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by Blompcube
yes, the power input jack on the small clone is the same.

Also, the big muff isn't really a unique sound, its a tone which is instantly recognisable as "a big muff". What makes you think the small clone is king of chorus pedals? its definitely my favourite in terms of sound, but you might want a bit more tweakability, because like the big muff, its a 'one trick pony'.

That's true, but how "tweakable" do you need a chorus pedal to be? The Small Clone comes with that "sweet spot" already dialed in, I don't need to change anything. The Boss chorus is okay, but the only variable in it is the rate knob since you have to crank the other 3 knobs all the way up to actually hear the effect.

Quote by Blompcube
i think its time to ask this question:

what styles of music do you play?

I was waiting for that one. At the moment, I'm deeply into grunge music. The lighter side of it (e.g. the Red Hot Chili Peppers) is also great.

Quote by red star
make sure you love it before you buy it. and the reason i suggested the metal muff is because you said you wanted "dark, heavy distortion" not "fuzz". the metal muff is loads better than the ds1 when it comes to distortion so i figured it might be a go for you but apparently not so nevermind.

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna get it. As I said, I tried it out, and it just sounded "okay" to me. I also forgot that I said heavy, so I apologize for the minor explosion in my previous post.
Last edited by nevermind94 at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by nevermind94
That's true, but how "tweakable" do you need a chorus pedal to be? The Small Clone comes with that "sweet spot" already dialed in, I don't need to change anything. The Boss chorus is okay, but the only variable in it is the rate knob since you have to crank the other 3 knobs all the way up to actually hear the effect.

i wish it had a variable depth control like the clone theory, as opposed to the 2 preset depth modes, because its either very high or very low, and i'd like it to be somewhere in between but i didn't like the sound of the clone theory as much

^yeah i know what you mean, a lot of boss pedals have pointless knobs that need to be maxed to do anything. anyways, if your looking for a chorus you make a good point, the small clone is pretty much dialed in, almost every tone you can get out that thing is usable.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100