So i'm working on learning this lovely flamenco technique, I can do the flourishes whre you rest your thumb on the low and just extend your fingers with no problems, but I've having a bit of trouble with doing continuous rasgueado, anybody know of any good exercises to help with this?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
they take a crap load of practice, ive been trying for a while but its hard, i dunno, just start slowly, working several fingers into every motion, ie, when your index extends, your pinky retracts, etc
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
yeah, right now I'm just trying to play triplets with my thumb and forefinger, and even that is pretty difficult, I don't think I'm ready to start adding other fingers yet.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
that depends on wich one you want.

p = thumb
i = index
m = middle
a = (annular) ring
q = pinky
it's possible with a,m,i,i(back up) in quarters

also full finger is more my style but is a rather old fashioned way of doing a rasquado

i,q,a,m, this one is a hit harder to pull off since your pinky isn't as strong as the rest of your fingers by far. For this one try slowly at when you've shot out your index and begin at the pinky start moving your index finger back into your hand(fist)

also in fifths might be worth a try, almost like the first one I described.

q,a,m,i,i(back up) and remember to move the rest of your fingers back in your hands when you strike upwards with your index. Same with the quarters.

triplets are better known as tressillios and I find them most comfortable with thumb and middle and ring finger. You just have to keep trying this one to figure out how the timing should be with moving your fingers(they should move a little since the distance between the fingers and thumb strike is rarely the same as the double thumb strike)

they can also be done with just striking with the ring finger and the index.
this would be a,i,i (back up) these are a bit easier. They should be done with the ringfinger instead of the middle since the ring finger and index are usually at almost the same length.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by FretboardToAsh
q,a,m,i,i(back up) and remember to move the rest of your fingers back in your hands when you strike upwards with your index. Same with the quarters.

for this, I just go q,a,m,i,p (drag thumb nail back from e-E across the strings) and I think it makes it easier