For metal style tremolo picking, do you guys use a hard pointy pick like a Stubby and a Jazz III or a soft flexible pick? On an acoustic I find only soft picks work.

Also when "machine-gunning" with a power chord progression are you suppose to pre-tension your picking arm right before the trem picking part or should your arm be completely relaxed all the time?
I only use 1mm picks, and I pretty much only play metal. They get the job done, whatever I do. It's the only kind of picks that always feels the same, no matter how fast or with what technique I use, it's always some sort of heavy pick. Tremolo picking the entire power chord is not that common, as it will usually result in quite a bit of note. Try the base note of the chord, if you want the machine-gun-like sound.
I didn't mean to say tremolo picking the entire chord but within a power chord progression something like:

7---7---7-------------7---7
5---5---5---0-0-0---5---5 etc.

With the three low E notes being triplet 8ths and the A5's being quarter notes or something.
I personally prefer relatively stiff picks, I think the ones I use most often are something like Dunlop Tortex 0.71s, possibly 0.78s but i have been known to use much thinner ones in the past, I find that they're good for lead playing but for downpicking they're a bit iffy.

Quote by Cuddrow
Tremolo picking the entire power chord is not that common, as it will usually result in quite a bit of note.

Most of black metal disagrees with you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.