So I may have been lying about the epic and awe inspiring part, there are pics!
So for a physics project we had to make an instrument. 90 percent of the class just made pvc pipe chimes, but i decided to make an electric guitar- Ive always wanted to make an actual high quality one, but

Pickup- 5 dollars of ebay- no idea what brand- i can only assume it came out of a cheap knockoff guitar

Bridge, tuners, jack, volume pot, fretwire - about 25 bucks from stewmac

Neck- redwood- 6 dollars from lowe's

Strings- drs- came used off of my les paul

Volume knob- off an old bass

Body- pine 2x10 scrap lumber from my garage- the shape takes cues from a Dean ML and an Explorer

Nut- piece of plastic k'nex toy with slots cut into it

All in all it cost me about 36 dollars and 20 hours. I did all the woodworking with a circular saw, a jigsaw, a router, and a dremel. I shaped the neck by hand with the dremel tool and sanding.

For the amount of time and effort put in, it turned out pretty well- The pickup hums and buzzes like no other, and the necks on the skinny side, it's definitely playable, and doesnt sound too bad distorted. The intonations nothing to write home about, and it's definitely not the prettiest too look at, but i'd say its a decent starting point for a first real build now that i have the concepts down.

I'll buy it for $500, what's your paypal?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

LoL wow...

my first "guitar" was a plywood body with a poplar neck but no fretboard and i never finished it... i just used it to test out my saw and my neck making abilities... this is just damn funny... it looks like a reverse explorer and a reverse king v (if they ever made one... the gibby one is just lame looking)
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I like it
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
very interesting! feels good making something with your own two hands and having it actually work dont it?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Cool man... talk about budget building! So... after the 12th fret it's a fretless?

BTW the intonation might improve if you lower the nut slots a bit. The action looks way too high and that can throw the intonation off.
lmao for $36 I LOVE it!

Are the distances between the frets actually accurate to a particular scale length?

and can you actually fret the low E string? It looks like its off the edge of the fret board...

Does it have a truss rod?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
that's solid work, my friend.

you should paint flames on it, to make it epic^2
------

Shwiggity.
"Sir, here is a check with my name on it. Put any number you want on it."

That is intense, man. Go try to serenade a woman with it. But you have to sing in Spanish, if you do.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Brutal.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
That is absolutely epic. The K'nex nut totally made my day. Well done.
Dude I wanna do that now.
But my budget will be-
$50.
Hopefully I could get an actual hard maple neck to fit in that budget.
Maybe a tonewood(basswood, I hope I could buy) body.
A GFS pickup, screwed to the body.
Single tone knob.
3-way toggle(humbucker, coil split, kill)
Body style- square like bo diddly's
No upper fret access, but hey, no upper frets!
Probably take off my other guitar's neck to trace where to put the frets on the build.
Oh, and I'd paint flames on it.

P.S.

POST SOUND CLIPS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
i have a question...
with the neck bolts on that side, wouldnt the strings hit the bolts and create a really terrible buzzing?
Quote by gratefulduck
i have a question...
with the neck bolts on that side, wouldnt the strings hit the bolts and create a really terrible buzzing?

I was thinking the same thing. Also, thin neck? The third picture makes it look quite thick, bear in mind this is coming from somebody who's used to playing Wizard necks.

Those two bits aside, that's a good project for just $36 (I think that's about £19?) and 20 hours. Nice work.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by Bismarck
Cool man... talk about budget building! So... after the 12th fret it's a fretless?

BTW the intonation might improve if you lower the nut slots a bit. The action looks way too high and that can throw the intonation off.

I might try that- part of the problem is that with no truss rod, the necks developing some upbow

Quote by Absent Mind
lmao for $36 I LOVE it!

Are the distances between the frets actually accurate to a particular scale length?

and can you actually fret the low E string? It looks like its off the edge of the fret board...

Does it have a truss rod?

Yes- heres the formula I used- Fret length from Bridge = Length / (12th root of 2) to the power of the Fret #

no truss rod

Quote by Iansmitchell
Dude I wanna do that now.
But my budget will be-
$50.
Hopefully I could get an actual hard maple neck to fit in that budget.
Maybe a tonewood(basswood, I hope I could buy) body.
A GFS pickup, screwed to the body.
Single tone knob.
3-way toggle(humbucker, coil split, kill)
Body style- square like bo diddly's
No upper fret access, but hey, no upper frets!
Probably take off my other guitar's neck to trace where to put the frets on the build.
Oh, and I'd paint flames on it.

If you buy quality wood you can blow $50 pretty quick- I did see some maple neck blanks for about 15 dollars after shipping on ebay. That’s not to discourage you though- if you use quality materials you’re bound to turn out a great sounding guitar!

Also, I’d recommend calculating and measuring frets- it’s actually pretty simple- forumula above

Quote by gratefulduck
i have a question...

No- I countersunk the bolts so theyre actually below the level of the fingerboard

By the way, when I said the neck was skinny, I meant the width of the fingerboard, not the depth. And I’ll work on getting some sound clips up- Maybe later today but if not sometime soon
Last edited by mattocaster99 at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by gratefulduck
i have a question...

No, the bridge holds the strings above the bolts, and the bolts aren't very high above the guitar's body anyway.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!