So I have the dreaded Edge III trem that came with my Ibanez RG5EX1. I was actually fine with the trem. HOWEVER!!! My trem claw came off one side of the body as the screw that was holding it in place must have carved the heck out of the slot in the body. So screws no longer fit inside it. So right now, I have taken off 1 spring to relieve the tension on the remaining screw (who knows when that may come off) and placed a lego piece in as a block (which actually works very well!). So this keeps my bridge stable but of course renders my whammy bar useless. Is there a way I can fix the unattached trem?

EDIT: People said that i should place a dowel inside. Would you recommend the same? Is wood or metal dowel better if I were to use it?

Figured I should post this here cuz there wasn't any rules on where to post for fixing things. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by lextexrex at Jun 26, 2008,
Block your trem off (with something more substantial than a lego peice) and remove the other trem claw screw, you dont want to be putting all the tension on one screw or it will tear out as well.

Drill out the hole (that has already torn out) so that there is no screw thread left (you should be able to do this by measuring the outside diameter of the screw thread and finding a matching drill peice)

Then find a matched peice of wood dowel (Very close fitting so its hard to push in but will just about go) and tite bond that into the hole you just drilled.

Then drill a pilot hole in the wood dowel and re attach the claw screw.

Thats how I would do it...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks, would it be preferable to place any wood glue inside so that the dowel is sure to stay inside or would it cause any damage?
Like I said tite bond it into place.

Get some tite bond on the surface of the hole and all over the surface of the down and plug it, should be a fair amount of squeeze out, but clean it up.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man