I have a crappy marshall MG solid state. decent for a solid state, i guess, but i want somethign that sounds better. My friend's dad has a vintage marshall... and damn it sounds amazing. But i am cheap and cant afford any decent tube amps. Are there any ways that I can get a decent tube sound with a solid state amp? there is a tube mic preamp on musiciansfriend, and some people said that they got pretty good results just running their guitar through it and into the amp, like a stomp box. anyone do anything like this, or know any other ways to make solid state sound better?
Id also appreciate any tube amp or head selections that I could get on ebay in the 400$ range.
$400 range? dude thats PLENTY for a used peavey classic 30
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
what kind of stuff are you playing? are you gigging at all?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Dude, $400 dollar range you can totally get a sweet tube for that price. Here is what you do, step by step.

1.Put your MG solid state in your car, and drive to Guitar Center (or Sam Ash or watev).
2. Put your $400 in your wallet
3. Ask them how much they will give you if you sell them the solid state.
4. Take that money, and the $400, and buy a Peavey Classic 30. It is sweetness, and if you say anything against it you will have about 600 UGer's who own it up your a**
Quote by c_man471
Dude, $400 dollar range you can totally get a sweet tube for that price. Here is what you do, step by step.

1.Put your MG solid state in your car, and drive to Guitar Center (or Sam Ash or watev).
4. Take that money, and the $400, and buy a Peavey Classic 30. It is sweetness, and if you say anything against it you will have about 600 UGer's who own it up your a**
Do this.

Do it now.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
what type of music do you play? $400 will buy some tube amps new...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by c_man471

I say he takes what he can get from the MG and get a ValveKing.
I'd take a Classic 30 over a Valveking any day.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
^yup yup the classic is a definate step up for a little more.
the valveking is a really poor tube amp.
If your more into classic rock id say get the Classic 30 if you want to do more than classic rock get a Crate V-series not that the C30 wouldnt be able to its just the crate would probly be bettor at doing stuff like metal, i could see the classic30 doing some punk it just sounds really good.
Id have to say the C30 is more of like the poor mans AC30 without the tremolo and the bomb reverb, and the Crate has marshall written all over it and it does a hell of alot bettor at it than a DSL or TSL if you ask me.
these would be two amps you should take alot of consideration buying used of course.
Last edited by blabermouth5 at Jun 26, 2008,
Used Classic 30 - Classic Rock, Lower Gain stuff
Used B-52 AT-112 - Metal mostly
If you can stretch your budget im sure you can find a Used Mesa F Series, or a 5150 if those are your kinda things too.

Im sorry if that doesnt help much, lower price amps arent my area of expertise
Quote by ibanezplayer470
I have a crappy marshall MG solid state. decent for a solid state, i guess, but i want somethign that sounds better. My friend's dad has a vintage marshall... and damn it sounds amazing. But i am cheap and cant afford any decent tube amps. Are there any ways that I can get a decent tube sound with a solid state amp? there is a tube mic preamp on musiciansfriend, and some people said that they got pretty good results just running their guitar through it and into the amp, like a stomp box. anyone do anything like this, or know any other ways to make solid state sound better?
Id also appreciate any tube amp or head selections that I could get on ebay in the 400$ range.

How about a Crate V-18?
I play a pretty big variety of stuff... everything from zeppelin to alter bridge to RHCP to wolfmother to metallica.... you get the picture. i want something pretty versatile. as a note, i also have the boss me-50, so I can get a pretty good range of sounds with that. i recently looked at the t-rex roommate at guitarcenter used for 200$... sounded so gorgeous compared to my amp alone. you can dial off the reverb with that, even though it is a reverb pedal, to get a pretty good tube sound. didnt improve the distortion much on the amp, but the clean was an orgasm in audio form. i havent tried it with the distortion on my pedal. would that be a better way to go rather than buy the peavey?
and as for gigs- i gig a little. but all i really need it to do is be able to play easily over drums. if i need anything louder, i could probably mic it. would the classic 50 be better?

and another note... does the classic have a good distortion/overdrive channel? or would I be relying on pedals to get a decent distortion.

and if it is important- i have an ibanez s470, a boss ds1 and me-50, mogami gold cables, and a marshall mg50dfx
Last edited by ibanezplayer470 at Jun 26, 2008,
While I've never played one, a Classic 30 from the number of people that suggest it could be a great amp.

I suggest a Fender Blues Junior for great cleans and for a little grit, and anything else need use an overdrive pedal or something.
The most versatile tube amp in that range is the VK112, but that doesn't mean it is the best for you. If you are using the high gain side most of the time, get an B-52 at112. clean and low gain most of the time, get a classic 30. If you want both done a tiny bit less well, get the valveking 112. If you want more info on the VK, look at the first demo i recorded in my profile.
Get a Valveking. I just got mine today, and it's completly amazing.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by greggybhoy
How about a Crate V-18?

Srsly. Or even the V33.

There are actually a lot of choices for tube amps under 500 bucks, besides the Classic 30 and the Valveking, especially if you go used.

I personally like the V33 or Palomino V32 better than the Valveking.
Quote by imgooley
=

+1.

I find that they are just as versatile, but sound better.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Classic can't do metal?

just stick an overdrive in front of it.
I can get a fine metal sound out of a classic.
As for your question about the volume and the classic 30, here are some nice tidbits you may or may not have known. Tube amps are twice as loud as solid states. AKA the 30watt Classic 30 will be just as loud as a 60watt solid state. PLenty to play over a drummer. or maybe enough to play over two and a half drummers and a horn section.
Get a Valveking for the $400, sell the MG and get a new speaker and maybe some new tubes for it.

There you have it, a good amp for $500.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by c_man471
As for your question about the volume and the classic 30, here are some nice tidbits you may or may not have known. Tube amps are twice as loud as solid states. AKA the 30watt Classic 30 will be just as loud as a 60watt solid state. PLenty to play over a drummer. or maybe enough to play over two and a half drummers and a horn section.

Well, it reallllllly doesn't take that super much to get over a drummer, another guitar, a bass, a blues harp, and a horn. I can do it no problem with my AD50VT.
I highly recommend getting a Tube Screamer (get a TS7 and mod it, it's not hard...) for most of these suggestions. My TS really livens up my V33H on account o it's dark gain channel. But I got to crank it today and it was quite the treat. I say don't let the Crate name fool you! The V-Series is great, especially if you're on a budget.
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20

70's Fender PA 100
Quote by Sadistic sponge
The most versatile tube amp in that range is the VK112, but that doesn't mean it is the best for you. If you are using the high gain side most of the time, get an B-52 at112. clean and low gain most of the time, get a classic 30. If you want both done a tiny bit less well, get the valveking 112. If you want more info on the VK, look at the first demo i recorded in my profile.

i think the B-52 covers it all. the C30 might have bettter cleans but the B-52 does bettor than just alright in that section to and its just awesome in the mid level to all out balls to wall.
so it seems like as far as amps go, there is the valveking, the classic, the at112, and the v series. so i guess if i am going to get an amp instead of a tube pedal, then those are probably my options. what about bugera? ive heard some mixed reviews on those.

and keep in mind that I have an me-50, so I can get loads of effects and various sounds out of that. Which amp has the best sound, something that would work well with my pedal?
If you are close to NYC, there is some guy selling a classic 50/410 for $550 on craigslist.
Quote by imgooley
Srsly. Or even the V33. I personally like the V33 or Palomino V32 better than the Valveking.

I agree as well. I preferred the V series over the VK. I put the Classic 30 a hefty step up from those. As well I highly recommend searching "tube amp" in the musical instrument section of Craigslist. Twice I have scored amps at half of the retail price that are absolutely pristine.
New = VK or Crate V (or Palomino), Bugera maybe or B-52.
Used = Classic 30, Delta Blues, or Prosonic. But you have to be patient and try before you buy.
I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing the 5150 combo someone had listed on CL for $350.
if you have a chance of getting a bugera take of VK crate and C30 of your list youll be very happy with 333XL.
the 333XL clean channel dosent have a gain knob so you could use your ME on there or send it trough the effects loop.
i think its an amazing amp as far as the tone it offers for the money.
Quote by imgooley
Srsly. Or even the V33.

There are actually a lot of choices for tube amps under 500 bucks, besides the Classic 30 and the Valveking, especially if you go used.

+1111
I like the Crate V series more than the Classic 30.