Quick question guys. I already have a Vox AD30VT amp. Is this amp "good enough" to take advantage of an expensive guitar? I have been reading tons of posts on tube vs. solid state and how you should spend half your money on the amp. This amp has been fine, but I've only been using my daughter's Behringer guitar. I'm about to get my own electric guitar but if I'm not going to be able to take advantage of say an Fender American Special Mahogany HSS (what I'm looking seriously at), should I just be looking at a MIM instead? I really don't want to buy a tube amp at this time (not sure if I need it or if I can afford both anyway). I just play at home and might play with friends or at church eventually. I'm not ever going to gig or anything like that. Hopefully this question makes sense and I appreciate any advice I can get. I'm going down to get a guitar this weekend.

Casey
Last edited by caseyd1012 at Jun 26, 2008,
Basically, whatever guitar you get will sound fine through it. It's really up to personal preference.
It's a good enough amp to take a good guitar. I'd get the guitar anyways - if you buy the MIM Strat and then find in a year you want to upgrade your amp to something more, you'll find yourself wanting a new guitar. The American is a very good investment to make. Just look after it
just do it. no regrets on a guitar that is that kind of quality.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I have an MIM Fat Strat into mine, sounds great. No need to upgrade for me right now either. You should be happy with the sound.
I just traded in my AD15VT-XL for a AD30VT and it sounds wicked, and all i play through it is a Les Paul Standard. Its really just a personal choice, what ever sounds good to you.
The Other, Other, Other North Devon Rock Band
Go for the MIM unless you really really really just gotta have the MIA. I hear strats paired with an AD30VT sounds great.
Quote by The Fret-Dancer
Go for the MIM unless you really really really just gotta have the MIA. I hear strats paired with an AD30VT sounds great.

Yes, it is amazing.

The clean tones you could get with a strat and the AD30VT are great.
this(ad 30vt) may be the only amp i will need for yrs

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
I guess I'm just wondering if I should spend the extra money for the American made or if, with this amp, I'm not really going to notice too much of a difference. $600 is obviously a pretty big difference in price between the two. The money itself isn't really an issue right now. I guess it's more just not being certain that I "need" the more expensive guitar for what I'm going to do.
Quote by Vantage
Yes, it is amazing.

The clean tones you could get with a strat and the AD30VT are great.

Hell, my Starcaster sounds good through my AD50VT, so I could imagine an MIA strat would sound great.
Quote by caseyd1012
I guess I'm just wondering if I should spend the extra money for the American made or if, with this amp, I'm not really going to notice too much of a difference. $600 is obviously a pretty big difference in price between the two. The money itself isn't really an issue right now. I guess it's more just not being certain that I "need" the more expensive guitar for what I'm going to do.

personally i prefer the American Standard to the MIM. if it was me in your place i would pay the extra but maybe the best thing to do would be to go and play them side-by-side through your amp and decide for yourself.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
That will be fine as long as you don't plan on doing any serious gigging because once you get it loud enough to be heard over a drummer, it sounds overpowered and icky.

It really doesn't make a huge difference when it comes to pairing a guitar with the amp. I use a strat with mine and it sounds great.

The distortion is mediocre and the clean is superb. My main issue is the volume, which shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't play any huge gigs. >;(
Quote by ortrigger
personally i prefer the American Standard to the MIM. if it was me in your place i would pay the extra but maybe the best thing to do would be to go and play them side-by-side through your amp and decide for yourself.

Yeah, I'm doing that this weekend for sure. Thanks for all of the advice guys. I appreciate it.
Go with the MIA, the amp is good enough for you to hear the difference. And your better off buying a quality guitar directly now, instead of a budget and later buy the more expensive and better.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.