My brother is looking for a new bass. Right now he plays a very crappy Ibanez bass that he got used for about $50. Its an SRX3000 or something if I remember right.

His amp is an Ampeg BA112
Price range is $500
Likes to play lots of British Invasion style bands (Beatles, Who, etc.)

He needs something with great playability that will inspire him to play more and learn. He has only been playing for about a year.

Any suggestions?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Jazz basses are pretty 60's style, cant go wrong with a Fender Jazz, Enthwistle played warwicks I think, or at least did for awhile, also played a T-Bird, but dont get that,aha.

my nets running really slow atm,or I'd do some research into the common basses played for that style, maybe thats an idea??

sorry, not very helpful
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
He was looking at that one $350 Hofner Paul McCartney knock off bass, I personally think it doesn't look good at all but I know nothing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hofner-Icon-Series-Vintage-Violin-Bass?sku=511788
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Hofner do not make very good basses. McCartney only got one because he couldn't afford a Fender.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
u're right, they arnt good at all, there's a reason Mcartney switched to Rickebacker

well, ok Rickenbackers are awesome by any standard, but yeah those Hofner and copies are rubbish in my opinion
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
The tone out of a Hofner is miserable in my opinion.

For the type of music, a jazz bass would fit the bill, but so would a Precision. My advice? Your bro needs to go to the store and try every new and used bass in his price range. Its a fun way to spend a few hours and I'm sure he'll find something that will feel and sound perfect for him.
British invasion covers some fairly wide tones. There is the thump of Paul McCartney to the punch of John Entwistle. Both can be done with the same bass, with proper playing and EQing. I would pick a Jazz over a Precision, and you may want to consider a bass with an active pre-amp, cause if I remember right both guys used active basses later on. The Fender will have a wide variety of tones and a good feel, but may not be what he wants. Go out and try some various basses in a store if possible. Most other quality basses of that time were really expensive. You may also want to look at a higher end Ibanez, Schecter, or more modern brand. However, they may not be exactly what you are looking for. So I think try out some Jazz (may as well try a Precision too) basses.
What is the difference between the Jazz and P basses?
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

hofner fails at life. it is like the little kid in kindergarten who can't figure out the way the blocks fit together.

jazz- growley
precision- thumpy
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Precision would get you more of that British Invasion tone he's looking for. But let him try a few different basses out and see what he likes.