View poll results: Which one?
Gibson SG
21 26%
Gibson Explorer
43 54%
Other
16 20%
Voters: 80.
hey guys, im looking for a guitar with alot of balls, a real rocker-outter with sustain and a punchy sound. My dad owns a Gibson Les Paul and I like it's punchy sound, so I've been looking at some Gibsons and have come to a crossroads.

Which one do you think would rock the house harder? A Gibson SG or Explorer? Looking around, both are famous for their sound and excellent sustain. I'll be playing them through a Marshall JCM 2204 50 watt head, Bogner Cab and sometimes a Boss SD-1 (super overdrive).

All of your feedback on both guitars or a different choice (no single pick-ups, I like having both) would be appreciated. Thanks

Edit: Not interested in a Les Paul
explorer
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Don't base your decision on this vote, maybe just use it as a guide...

... I only say this because the SG is losing

EDIT: I take that back. Definitely this vote should make your decision
_______
|||||||||||||||
If you are most definately going Gibson Then it'd be an Explorer hands down. Also a Flying V, I believe, has the same pickups? Don't quote me on that though.

If brand name is of no consequence to you I'd try Schecter. I've owned a C-1 FR and it's honestly the best guitar I've played.
Explorers are ok depending on what you want... if your going for the gritty classic in your face 80's cruch... go for the sg... if your looking for something thats a little more modern... go with the explorer... also if your not used to playing on body shapes like the explorer it can be a bit jarring
The only ddifferances are the shape,which you would need to see for yourself,and the amount of wood in the body.There will be a little more sustain from the explorer,but if you wanna go for looks,the sg is more rock in my opnion,the explorer is kinda retro.
meh
no les paul?
imo les paul "rocks" harder than any of those guitars.
[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
EXPLORRRERRRR
if i wasnt a lefty, id get one.. and being a broke lefty.. i would get one if i could find it and i had moneyyy

E.X.P.L.O.R.E.R......RR.R.R.R.R.R.
explorer!!! FTW!!!
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
amon amarth plays explorers
Quote by deli_creep

*PEAR*

if i get banned....it was worth it.
Go with the explorer, I had one, it was great one but I've upgraded since then so mine is to be lost forever somewhere among the stars now.. and besides, everyone including my uncle plays an SG and I personally don't find the looks that appealing, maybe if it had a really nice burst or somthing but the shape does nothing for me.
Can't beat the SG for all out balls-rock.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
yeah im liking the explorer so far. im going to the guitar shop sometime next week, the closest one is like an hour's drive away so Im gonna get murdered by the gas.

Explorer seems like it's got the upper-hand here. The SG sounds like it's pretty good for the gritty 80s stuff but what about the more modern stuff? I'm a little versatile in my music here
Go to a guitar store and try em out? My votes goes for explorer though simply because I cant stand the SG.
explorer
but like freeloader said dont limit urself to one brand, i was a bit skeptical to Ibanez and now i love my RG

oh and Skwisgaar plays and explorer so that counts for sumthing
i love gibson but if you want a kick in your ass/melt you face guitar id recomend a bc rich
Quote by Superstrat101
yeah im liking the explorer so far. im going to the guitar shop sometime next week, the closest one is like an hour's drive away so Im gonna get murdered by the gas.

Explorer seems like it's got the upper-hand here. The SG sounds like it's pretty good for the gritty 80s stuff but what about the more modern stuff? I'm a little versatile in my music here

personally, i think sg's are a little over rated, explorers are just bonified badass

and does the shape of ur guitar reallllyy determine what kind of music u play?
i dont think so
Quote by saitenslayer
i love gibson but if you want a kick in your ass/melt you face guitar id recomend a bc rich

waaatttt is you fo real
im not really limiting myself to gibson, but they're pretty much the only thing I can try out here in the middle of canada. Besides, being *Gibson* they're pretty much one of the best quality rock guitars being made. I've tried a Scheter like freeloader's before, im not sure if it was a C-1 FR but I didn't really like how it played. I've tried Deans + Ibanez's but they don't have the punch im looking for.

PS: The reason I dont want a Les Paul is because it's a little too expensive for me, only looking to spend up to 1700 canadian here. (Almost Local LP is $2130)

Thanks guys
Quote by Superstrat101
im not really limiting myself to gibson, but they're pretty much the only thing I can try out here in the middle of canada. Besides, being *Gibson* they're pretty much one of the best quality rock guitars being made. I've tried a Scheter like freeloader's before, im not sure if it was a C-1 FR but I didn't really like how it played. I've tried Deans + Ibanez's but they don't have the punch im looking for.

PS: The reason I dont want a Les Paul is because it's a little too expensive for me, only looking to spend up to 1700 canadian here. (Almost Local LP is $2130)

Thanks guys

i envy you for having that much money to spend on guitar :P
Quote by 6-string-yay
i envy you for having that much money to spend on guitar :P

for the money yes, for the job... no. Every weekday I wake up at 2:00 in the morning and work till 1:00 in the afternoon. Its ****ing ungodly lol.

Good thing its just for the summer
Guitar with alot of balls?

Wangcaster.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
If TS still cares about this thread, the question of versatility wasn't answered.

The SG can play a wide range of things, but it does have a darker tone and the fat humbuckers. It doesn't sound like single coils at all.

I speak from literally no experience with an explorer, but I'm sure it is just as versatile as the SG. Your playing will make a guitar sound how it sounds for the most part.

I just think explorers are kinda goofy looking.

and to whoever said "does the shape of ur guitar determine the music you play" or whatever: No. So why get a really flashy explorer?
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by dannyisokay
If TS still cares about this thread, the question of versatility wasn't answered.

The SG can play a wide range of things, but it does have a darker tone and the fat humbuckers. It doesn't sound like single coils at all.

I speak from literally no experience with an explorer, but I'm sure it is just as versatile as the SG. Your playing will make a guitar sound how it sounds for the most part.

I just think explorers are kinda goofy looking.

and to whoever said "does the shape of ur guitar determine the music you play" or whatever: No. So why get a really flashy explorer?

cause i likes teh explorerz

anyway, I tried the wang caster but it wouldn't fit in my pants with the other one. TS still cares, he just went to watch a couple of movies
**** the sg!
everybody has one of those

i love my explorer
the size of it really adds sustain and tone to it
go for it bro
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

yeah im looking for humbucker guitars. I play alot of KEA-Black album Metallica, Ac/DC, Scorpions, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush so pretty much your old school balls-to-the-wall rock.

Im also liking the looks of that kelly
Quote by saitenslayer

you sir are an epic fail.

To the person purchacing a guitar.
I suggest trying out some other Les Pauls. Every one is different. Maybe you will find one you like more than your dads. Bring your own amp, and test each one for feel and sound, alongside all the other Explorers and SGs
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by maiden_mexico
you sir are an epic fail.

To the person purchacing a guitar.
I suggest trying out some other Les Pauls. Every one is different. Maybe you will find one you like more than your dads. Bring your own amp, and test each one for feel and sound, alongside all the other Explorers and SGs

old thread is old and congrats on the BC rich knocking bandwagon. I'd buy a gunslinger (80's or new) in a second if they made them for lefties.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
SG, Cos explorers are butt-ugly
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here