I inherited a Mackie M1400i poweramp, and a bass cabinet recently. First of all, the cabinet has an alpine R15, which is a really nice subwoofer, but i'm pretty sure it's meant for use in a car, will it be ok if i use it with a bass? Also will the poweramp sound good with the cabinet? The amp has a "subwoofer" switch where it's at a low frequency, so I think it'll work with the speaker, the question is, will it sound good if i play a bass through it. Also, since there's no preamp, would it be a good idea to run an equalizer pedal before the amp? Thanks for the answers.
^ yes it will work, but it will not sound the best. You are right you will need some type of preamp, they can be had fairly cheap, but really that sub will really suck for a bass guitar amp. Its simply not vocied for it and waste a ton of power to get to a decent volume. My advice is ethier A sell the Alpine, and install a decent Pro Sub, or sell the entire rig and get a actual bass amp.
ok, so if I get a decent speaker in there, it'll sound pretty good? Another option I have, is I could use the poweramp to power some PA speakers, and use the external speaker thing on the current amp my band is using, if I put a better speaker in the cab (our amp's like a fender rumble or something.) Would that sound better than using an equalizer pedal and the poweramp and cabinet?
Edit: I'm kind of oppossed to selling the rig, because it was a gift. So the most I would really want to do is modify the hell out of it.
Last edited by si! at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by si!
ok, so if I get a decent speaker in there, it'll sound pretty good? Another option I have, is I could use the poweramp to power some PA speakers, and use the external speaker thing on the current amp my band is using, if I put a better speaker in the cab (our amp's like a fender rumble or something.) Would that sound better than using an equalizer pedal and the poweramp and cabinet?
Edit: I'm kind of oppossed to selling the rig, because it was a gift. So the most I would really want to do is modify the hell out of it.

Might be a better idea.

Use the amp for a PA, use the cab (with new, guitar/bass speakers in it) with your amp.