Page 1 of 2
I decided to break out the bass today for some slap-bass practice. I bound my thumb with electrical tape and began to muck around with the bass.

After about 5-10 minutes I began to feel a load of pain in my slapping thumb. It began as a clicking sensation which then turned into a throbbing pain which went all the way from the top of my thumb to my wrists.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem is? I've got RSI so I'm wondering whether this has caused any bother.

PS Before anyone says 'go to the doctor' please note it's 11.30pm here in the UK and my doctor is on holiday.
ah..... FAP to take the pain and replace it with P L E A S U R E
All Shall Perish, ABRB, Behemoth, Belay My Last, TBDM, Born Of Osiris, Carnifex, Despised Icon, I Declare War, Impending Doom, Odious Mortem, Salt The Wound, Suicide Silence, WhiteChapel
Quote by *Juno*
See a different Doctor...stop making threads and asking for attention..just deal with it like any NORMAL human being

If i could 'deal' with it then I'd be sound asleep by now instead of being in pain on UG.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
WTF!?!?

Binding your thumb with electrical tape is a common trick among slap-bassists to stop the action of striking their strings from splitting the skin on the side of their thumbs.
Grab your thumb and pull it back really hard, then repeat on all your other fingers and hopefully that'll solve my problem which is your whining.
Quote by *Juno*
See a different Doctor...stop making threads and asking for attention..just deal with it like any NORMAL human being

wow, what an ass.

Benedryll + shot of liquor = sleeping for 10 hours.

go tomorrow morning.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
It's interesting you say there's something wrong with your thumb because there's this burning sensation in my balls..
Quote by Draken
Grab your thumb and pull it back really hard, then repeat on all your other fingers and hopefully that'll solve my problem which is your whining.

I'm not whining!
Hm, try taking a light pain killer of some sort and maybe some nyquill and try to get some sleep, Im sure it would be better in the morning. If not, see a different doctor or take a trip to the ER.

Oh, and how did your episode with the weird guy threatening you go? I reember reading that thread.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Two months ago I severed a tendon in my fretting hand's thumb with a kitchen knife at work (cut to the bone) and had to has surgery to reattach it. =[

Thumb injuries suck.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm not whining!

You're a woman it's one of your default settings apart from bitch/menstrate and shop.
Quote by zippidyduda
Hm, try taking a light pain killer of some sort and maybe some nyquill and try to get some sleep, Im sure it would be better in the morning. If not, see a different doctor or take a trip to the ER.

Oh, and how did your episode with the weird guy threatening you go? I reember reading that thread.

I'll try some paracetamol and try and get some sleep.

As for the guy who was threatening me, I've seen him since then and he hasn't said a word. which is a good thing.
Quote by Draken
You're a woman it's one of your default settings apart from bitch/menstrate and shop.

BUURN!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If they have sh*t technique, that is.

Errrrr...what about Mark King of Level 42? Take a look at his thumb in this photo....what do you see? Electrical tape.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'll try some paracetamol and try and get some sleep.

As for the guy who was threatening me, I've seen him since then and he hasn't said a word. which is a good thing.

Good idea, and maybe lay off the slap bass for a while?

Thats good, unless he is secretely plotting your downfall

Which I doubt.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Errrrr...what about Mark King of Level 42? Take a look at his thumb in this photo....what do you see? Electrical tape.

If you split your thumb open from slapping, you have sh*t technique. End of. There are plenty of bassists who don't, and guess what? They don't split their thumb open. Flea splits his thumb open, and he has fantasically sh*t technique.

EDIT: Additionally, if it hurts, you have sh*t technique. In fact, electrical tape on the thumb would slightly dampen attack, so maybe THAT'S why Mark King does it.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

You cant base it all on one person...... Think of all the fantastic bassists that dont do it
Quote by zippidyduda
Good idea, and maybe lay off the slap bass for a while?

Thats good, unless he is secretely plotting your downfall

Which I doubt.

Yay!

As for the guy, he's an ass if he starts anything......some of my friends are threatening violence if he tries anything,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you split your thumb open from slapping, you have sh*t technique. End of. There are plenty of bassists who don't, and guess what? They don't split their thumb open. Flea splits his thumb open, and he has fantasically sh*t technique.

Um, does it really matter? You dont really have to be an elitist prick about it. Who cares if she uses tape? Its not like it means anything.

Just saying.

That being said, I dont know crap about playing bass
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Quote by jimmy_neutron
You cant base it all on one person...... Think of all the fantastic bassists that dont do it

But Mark King is my favoiurite slap-bassist
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
But Mark King is my favoiurite slap-bassist

okay............?

If you split your thumb open then you are obviously doin it wrong... thats how i see it
Quote by zippidyduda
Um, does it really matter? You dont really have to be an elitist prick about it. Who cares if she uses tape? Its not like it means anything.

Just saying.

That being said, I dont know crap about playing bass

It has everything to do with it. If you need to do something to stop your hand from being split open, you have bad technique, which could be what is causing the thumb to hurt. It's not about being elitist at all.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It has everything to do with it. If you need to do something to stop your hand from being split open, you have bad technique, which could be what is causing the thumb to hurt. It's not about being elitist at all.

I learnt my slap from Mark King so...... My technique was also corrected ages ago by four other bassists.
Quote by *Juno*

Normal human beings don't go to the doctor because of a simple pain after slapping.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Normal human beings don't go to the doctor because of a simple pain after slapping.

Thank you!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Im just saying, it seems like you are acting like a bit of a prick. Then again, I havent yet installed the douchebag detector app into my browser so I could be totally wrong
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Page 1 of 2