I remember when I used to workout 3-4 days a week people would tell me to not do the same exercise especially the compound movements 2 days in a row or more then once-twice a week because you can overtrain and halt progress. Is it really safe to practice guitar 2-3 hours....even 1 hour each day without taking a break in between breaks? What problems can evolve from doing it this way because I hear some dudes here say they practice something like 10 hours a day?

What's the general rule of thumb? take a few minutes break every 20 minutes or am I way off?
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
solution: lock yourself in a closet and only come out when your GF/Wife/Mom/Life Partner lets you out. The greats did it. (well only Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads to my knowledge) You'll know you're good when you do it.
Guitar playing isn't like working out. You can easily hurt yourself working out, too much weight and the same movements on your muscles are bad. Your finger muscles aren't very big and it can be hard t hurt them. But of course its possible. Just play until your fingers hurt a lot and then stop.
We walk on legs all the time and when we have track practices every day it's because we are training our legs for cardiovascular exercises, pretty much non-stop movement. With other parts of our body we do bench presses and sit-ups for muscular strength, and quick bursts of movement with lots of power behind them. Guitar playing is more mental and it won't hurt your fingers or injure them to play guitar lots during the day, over time they have become used to the excessive use.

In short, we aren't trying to get buff fingers so we don't "lift weights" with them every 2 days, our arms need 24-48 hours to fully recover and to build muscle proficiently. Sure you could lift weights everyday but you will only be able to do a little for a long time as a final result.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by Copilot911
Guitar playing isn't like working out. You can easily hurt yourself working out, too much weight and the same movements on your muscles are bad. Your finger muscles aren't very big and it can be hard t hurt them. But of course its possible. Just play until your fingers hurt a lot and then stop.

Eh, no. I know a guy who has permanant tendon damage (left hand) from playing Holdsworth stuff that he was physically incapable of, and another who can play anymore because of carpal tunnel in his right wrist.

You can do some serious damage to yourself playing guitar. If somethig hurts, stop.

Long practice sessions are fine physically, as long as your playing the guitar with the correct posture and technique.

I've found that practicing alot (I used to practice 7+ hours a day regularly) is fine, provided you practice things which are valuable to you as a musician. Rhythm, ear training, composing, improvising and technique. All important.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Every second you spend playing guitar is all experience, so do as much as you can/want, as long as you're having fun. Usually I'm bored about 3-4 hours a day, so I just pick up my guitar and play something.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Eh, no. I know a guy who has permanant tendon damage (left hand) from playing Holdsworth stuff that he was physically incapable of, and another who can play anymore because of carpal tunnel in his right wrist.

You can do some serious damage to yourself playing guitar. If somethig hurts, stop.

Long practice sessions are fine physically, as long as your playing the guitar with the correct posture and technique.

I've found that practicing alot (I used to practice 7+ hours a day regularly) is fine, provided you practice things which are valuable to you as a musician. Rhythm, ear training, composing, improvising and technique. All important.

no what? I said you can hurt you fingers, I said stop when it hurts. No to what.

Anything can hurt you, I know someone who stepped of a curb wrong and broke their ankle. But you aren't going to get carpal tunnel if you play properly, I use to play computer for around 8-10 hours a day without stopping, my wrists are perfectly fine because my mousepad has a nice gel rest.
Last edited by Copilot911 at Jun 26, 2008,
Tendinitis anyone?

About practicing, i would say that when you notice that you're playing is getting sloppy, then stop, do other stuff like walk around by instance and start again when you feel less overwhelmed.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
oh yeah. if you practice the exat same damned freakin thing for like 5 hours at a time. you'll build that muscle memory and have a hard time doing anything else. seriously. and zakk practiced a lot like osmeone said, but i doubt he practiced the same damned thing for 16 hours straight.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I hear "correct posture and technique" what exactly is classified as correct? I've seen people play using the classical technique with their thumb at the back of the neck an people play other way gripping the neck with their hand.

I usually practice standing up and lately my wrists have been getting sore and slightly uncomfortable. what can I do about that? only been playign a few months if that helps.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Quote by Stratopower
Zakk Wylde used to play for 16 hours a day.. Quit whineing and keep playing! =]

You would think he'd be a better player with all that. Definitely proof that quality of practice is more important than quantity.
Had tendinitis here. Watch out for it, I payed for 15 minutes forcing my left wrist and got tendinitis for 2 weeks.
Quote by Copilot911
no what? I said you can hurt you fingers, I said stop when it hurts. No to what.

Anything can hurt you, I know someone who stepped of a curb wrong and broke their ankle. But you aren't going to get carpal tunnel if you play properly, I use to play computer for around 8-10 hours a day without stopping, my wrists are perfectly fine because my mousepad has a nice gel rest.

you said "play until they hurt a lot" - - that's not good advice and I think you know it too.
Don't be one of those douchebags.

I promise, having a social life is far more important that playing guitar.

However, you're probably not going to get carpal tunnel from playing guitar unless you don't do ANYTHING else.
Dickless.