Hey all, I've been playing a little over 2 years now and I'm into rock/metal. I like anything from classic rock to thrash to death metal. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Megadeth, Metallica, Testament, Death (<-- my favorite band), Morbid Angel, Obituary, etc. are all good. But I've been stuck on the pentatonic scale for too long. All my solos tend to sound like a crappy version of Angus Young just running up and down the minor pentatonic scale. I don't have shred speed yet either so that makes it even worse. I've tried to be creative with it and I've tried using some other scales. I started using the minor scale and got into the same rut with it. Everyone keeps telling me to use the modes of the major scale when I solo but it sounds super happy and doesn't fit well at all over thrash/death metal. Any tips or good scales I can use? It seems that the pentatonic scale works well over any song almost.. what's another scale that's like that?
Try to go outside the box with soloing, double up on the notes. I used to be the same, try this for example:

-------14-------------
-------14-------------
--16b---------------- Pick the 14th Frets individually, THEN double the notes up!

stuff like that, should add alot to your Solo styles!
It's not the scales you know that will help too much; you need to learn some other genres, try some jazz, country or old-school blues. That would teach you different ways of approaching soloing which will help a huge amount more than any new scale.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
harmonic minor is awesome for metal

and blues scale i mean cmon everyone likes teh blues

and if u know how add some sweeps and pinches. you can play a little cool part and go up and octave or 2 or even down
Last edited by Emo-Slayer at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by Emo-Slayer
harmonic minor is awesome for metal

and blues scale i mean cmon everyone likes teh blues

I use the blues scale and the minor (not the harmonic minor but it's one note different)
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's not the scales you know that will help too much; you need to learn some other genres, try some jazz, country or old-school blues. That would teach you different ways of approaching soloing which will help a huge amount more than any new scale.

I know some blues.. I'm not into country... I guess I could try jazz.. Alex Skolnick from Testament plays jazz now.... umm how should I go about getting into a whole new genre? just start looking up beginner jazz stuff?
Try using Phrygian and Locrian they are dark sounding modes from the Major scale. Just play a major scale and put your root on the 3rd note of the scale (Phrygian), or the 7th note (Locrian)

Otherwise I would recommend adding a minor 6th and a b2 to your blues :-)
I'd give the Pentatonic Minor a go before you start lurking into other genres. Not that playing with versatility is bad, but you could probably find some darker minor scales before you go back and learn more genres.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Your problem isn't the scale, it's a lack of creativity - learning more scales isn't going to solve that. Spend more time actually learning the pentatonic scale as opposed to just mindlessly following shapes.

Actually listen to what you're playing, it makes the world of difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by kirkhammett09
I know some blues.. I'm not into country... I guess I could try jazz.. Alex Skolnick from Testament plays jazz now.... umm how should I go about getting into a whole new genre? just start looking up beginner jazz stuff?

Actually, having thought about it, you don't even need to learn to play it; just listen a lot, listening to as much music as possible is great way to keep your phrasing fresh and, after all, that's the most important part of any solo. Listen to as much music as possible, you never know; you might enjoy it. If you like shred and metal try Guthrie Govan for jazz and Johnny Hiland for country, both shredders par excellence but completely different to just about all the metal you will ever hear.

Edit: and what Steven_Seagull said; he's good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.