What's a really good mic for recording acoustic guitar? Something between $100 and $200 would be nice.
I'm a person.
i have and so do a lot of other users on this site have this mxl 990 and 910 mic set.
they are a set of condenser mics that need phantom power but they work great, check out my recordings on my profile "summer"
it features my acoustic and i recorded it with it

the set is only 100$ at GC and i believe that it now also comes with a preamp so that is the mic i would recommend
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
I have the 990 and I'm not really satisfied with it what's the 910?
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
I have the 990 and I'm not really satisfied with it what's the 910?

the 910 isnt exactly my favorite, but if you use it in unison with the 990 it sounds great
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
The Rode NT1A may be a little over $200 but is WELL worth the price and is an amazing mic for both vocals and acoustic guitar.

If you were to use the MXLs you would use the 990 and 991 at the same time. They sound good as well but the Rode is by far a better choice.
M Audio's offerings are quite good...the Nova's just $99 but has received good reviews.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic/900_Series/MXL993/mxl993.htm

The 993 isn't a large diaphragm condenser, which IMHO is the right type of microphone for capturing the details of an acoustic. The 992, on the other hand, looks like a better 990/MXL 3000. That probably is what you are looking for.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
The Studio Projects B1 condenser is what I use, and find it very nice for acoustic. You can get that for around the $140 mark or a bit less I believe.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by PinkIsCool
What's the difference between the 993 and the one that I put up before?

The 993 and 990 are more for Vocals than Instrument recording the 991 is good for a Drum mic or an acustic mic. The diffrence between a 990 and a 993 is the Dynamics the 993 is actualy better than the 990 quality wise and its newer... i am actualy selling my recording equiptment i have a line 6 Toneport ux 1 a Sterling Audio phantom power, mxl 990 and a 991. Hit me up on myspace if interested www.myspace.com/kiddnastie
Hi.

An old thread, and an old question, but I thought I'd resurrect it anyway...

I'm looking at upgrading my home recording setup for acoustic guitar. I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist that does it for fun!

I presently have a StudioProjects C1 large condenser mic that I record into a MOTU 828 mk II interface.

I am wanting a purer acoustic sound for my acoustic guitar. Would I do better to simply add a decent small diaphragm condenser (e.g, a pencil mike like the mxl 604 or 993, or the Shure SM81) and use that with my C1, or should I look at getting a matched pair of condenser mics (such as a pair of 993s)?

I'm wondering if it would make more sense to go with two decent miss (C1 with any of the above) which would not be "matched" but would give me a combo of a large and small diaphragm, plus two entirely different sounds from miss made by different manufacturers, OR get a matched pair.

Thanks in advance for any input.

TB