The gear I have now is a Squire Stratocaster and a Fender Frontman 15 W amp. I was looking at tube amps and they can get expensive. Someone recommended Craig's List. So I was looking and I thought that the Epiphone Valve Standard seemed pretty good and it got great reviews. So I'm gonna buy it. Unless you guys say otherwise. I'm only 13 so I have a very low budget. Maybe like $250 or $300 if it's a really good deal. I think that the Epiphone Valve Standard is normally $300. But on Craig's List it's only $200. Seems good to me. If you see anything else on this page or else where, please tell me. Here is the Craig's List page of amps in my price range. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&minAsk=min&maxAsk=300

Here is the link to the Epiphone Valve Standard which I was leaning towards: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/727924848.html

I need an amp (preferably a tube amp) that can gig, sounds good, and preferably takes pedals.
wait ...what do you mean by "takes pedals"?basicaly all amps can "take"pedals
Quote by Rush_fan2112
i want to walk down the streets of a very large, populized city (one like toronto, or new york) wearing a wonder woman costume and eating a stick of butter

Quote by figsandbobo
I can eat a 16" no problem.
1. Try before you buy
2. what kind of gigging are you doing? a 15 watt tube wont be able to over power a drummer
3. save up another $250 and get a VK if you really want to gig

thats my two cents
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Go ahead buy it.
its a really nice amp , and if you can get foor 200..

craigslist is site where you go to adv to sell stuf/ or buy.
Quote by rhcp33roxx
wait ...what do you mean by "takes pedals"?basicaly all amps can "take"pedals

Some amps take pedals better then others. i.e. a Fender Twin Reverb.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
What kind of music do you play? You MIGHT be able to find a Peavey Classic 30 or Peavey Valveking for under $400.
Quote by Phillitalian
1. Try before you buy
2. what kind of gigging are you doing? a 15 watt tube wont be able to over power a drummer
3. save up another $250 and get a VK if you really want to gig

thats my two cents

your drummer must beat hard as ****. 15 watts tube can cut through drums

anyways, in response to op, if your buying through craigslist always, always, always play it before you buy. id recommend sitting on the money and saving a bit more. the last thing you want to do is rush into buying something and then regret it a couple weeks later.

are you currently in a band and regularly playing gigs?? what style of music do you tend to play and are looking to play?? if your planning on the vj you'll also need an od to boost it for anything north of hard rock.
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
This isn't one of the Peavey Classic's you speak of, is it? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/711658594.html

Also when and if I get the Epiphone Valve Standard, I would probably get an Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer Pedal seen here:

I play rock, hard rock, classic rock, alternative, and I guess you could say a bit of metal.

To give you an idea, here some of the songs my band will cover in our next gig:
1. Pork and Beans-Weezer
2. Blue Orchid-The White Stripes
3. Hate to Say I Told You So-The Hives
4. Crazy Train-Ozzy Osbourne
5. Either Love Train or Joker and the Thief-Wolf Mother

I would gig in like a gym, small/medium theater or club, or an auditorium.

BleedDeathMetal was right about what I meant about amps "taking pedals".

I am currently in a band and we do play a gig every month or so.
Quote by Sam_Brockmann
Well, provided the site is legit, then hell yes, do it.

Sigh.

Classic 30 FTW!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
So you think I should get the Epiphone Valve Standard? I will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no problem getting the DigiTech Bad Monkey instead. But what's better about the Bad Monkey? Also MatrixClaw I did not understand your last comment at all.
Quote by newbienewbie
Also MatrixClaw I did not understand your last comment at all.

I was saying Sigh to the guy that said as long as the site is legit because CL doesn't actually sell anything and he obviously didn't know what CL was.

And I was saying buy this:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/722318506.html
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get the Valve Standard. Everyone loves their little brother (the Valve Junior) and Epiphone is releasing the Valve Senior soon.

It's a great amp for a great price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thank you MatrixClaw for explaining, I fully understand now. So majority, and what I was leaning towards, wins; I am getting the Epiphone Valve Standard. Unless anyone can convince me to buy the Peavey Transtube Bandit 112 or another amp. By the way thank you CarbonDeath anyway for sending me that link, and if I ever need a quick good amp I will DEFINITELY consider the amp! Any last concerns?

Also why do you think I should get the DigiTech Bad Monkey instead of the Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer? I have no problem buying the Bad Monkey instead, just wondering why. Keep in mind that I play Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, and I suppose some Metal. I also liked that the TS7 had a Hot Switch for some added Gain.
Quote by the boogieman
your drummer must beat hard as ****. 15 watts tube can cut through drums

Really? My 401 can be at a nice volume with the drums at around 7 or 8. But yes, I play with a drummer who has a big, loud kit and hits really hard.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
GET THE CLASSIC 30, the epi really blows, and so does the bandit, do NOT get the TS7, honestly, all the tube screamers are complete crap, IMO, other then the ts808 which is out of your price range, get the Classic 30 and a Bad Monkey, LISTEN, most people on here do not know what the **** they are talking about, only about 3 posts back there were from intelligent people, get the Classic 30, I used to own one, great amp.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty
GET THE CLASSIC 30, the epi really blows, and so does the bandit, do NOT get the TS7, honestly, all the tube screamers are complete crap, IMO, other then the ts808 which is out of your price range, get the Classic 30 and a Bad Monkey, LISTEN, most people on here do not know what the **** they are talking about, only about 3 posts back there were from intelligent people, get the Classic 30, I used to own one, great amp.

Nope. Bandit is $100 and will produce decent tones and be nice to pedals. Classic 30 has a good clean and decent distortion. And by the way, Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer, original and reissue would blow a Bad Monkey out of the water any day.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by newbienewbie
Thank you MatrixClaw for explaining, I fully understand now. So majority, and what I was leaning towards, wins; I am getting the Epiphone Valve Standard. Unless anyone can convince me to buy the Peavey Transtube Bandit 112 or another amp. By the way thank you CarbonDeath anyway for sending me that link, and if I ever need a quick good amp I will DEFINITELY consider the amp! Any last concerns?

Also why do you think I should get the DigiTech Bad Monkey instead of the Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer? I have no problem buying the Bad Monkey instead, just wondering why. Keep in mind that I play Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, and I suppose some Metal. I also liked that the TS7 had a Hot Switch for some added Gain.

For what you want to play I still say you should get the Classic 30. The Valve Standard is a decent amp, but the Classic blows it out of the water imo.

The Bad Monkey is better than the TS7 because the TS7 is a low-end tubescreamer that sounds nothing like, and isn't half the quality of its more well known counterparts. HOWEVER, if you're handy with a soldering iron, you could mod it to TS808 specs or better for pretty cheap and it would be better than the Bad Monkey.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Is the Peavey Classic 30 a tube amp? By the way, my friend's dad who knows a lot about guitars said the Peavey is a beginner amp brand. But where is the cheapest place to but the Peavey Classic 30?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/711658594.html What is that amp?

Anyone one else think that I should get the Epiphone Valve Standard? Because that's what I'm pulling for.
Quote by newbienewbie
By the way, my friend's dad who knows a lot about guitars said the Peavey is a beginner amp brand.

Maybe their cheap SS amp. With that statement, you dad's friend makes me think he doesn't know anything about guitars.

90% of metal bands now days have used a Peavey 5150/6505 at some point in their career, as well as Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani, beginner amp brand my ass.

The Peavey amp you just linked is a hybrid amp, we're talking about this:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/722318506.html
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^Not really. The Valve Standard is okay, but not a lot of clean headroom, not as versatile as the Classic 30.

Quote by b00m_
Really? My 401 can be at a nice volume with the drums at around 7 or 8. But yes, I play with a drummer who has a big, loud kit and hits really hard.

7 or 8? My drummer is loud as **** and I only have to keep my 40 watt 2x10" tube combo at 3, tops.
Quote by newbienewbie

if you do get the ts7 its got the same chip found in the 808

swap 2 transistors and you have yourself what is essentially an 808. the mod costs an extra $5. you wont regret it
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by CarbonDeath
Nope. Bandit is $100 and will produce decent tones and be nice to pedals. Classic 30 has a good clean and decent distortion. And by the way, Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer, original and reissue would blow a Bad Monkey out of the water any day.

Ignore this guy. He's probably selling it.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
The Classic 30 is the way to go.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts