I made a thread a few days ago, got some decent responses, but regardless of what I try, I can't fix the grounding right.

Here's what I have so far:

A humbucker in the neck position, off an old guitar, that has a white lead and exposed copper wire for the ground. Next I have a Dimarzio SD318 (Super Distortion T) in the bridge. This has a red lead, black and white wires (which they said to solder together and set aside), a green ground, and exposed ground wire. All of which goes into a three-way switchable Telecaster.

I know I have the leads right on both pickups. I soldered all of the grounds to the back of the volume potentiometer. Then, under the advice of my last thread, I now have a ground going from the back of the volume potentiometer to the bridge plate/pickup screw. I also have another ground coming off the volume to a grounding ring that is then screwed into the guitar body itself. (my thought is this could take the place of the volume to bridge plate ground... )

I left the jack setup untouched, so it's still stock and should work fine.

I'm not that great at soldering, so maybe it could be a loose or faulty connection... I dunno though. That's why I'm here.

Anyways... what did I do wrong? Or do I need to add something else? Help please!

The bridge pickup is worse (as far as grounding problems) compared to the neck. If I keep a finger on the tone knob, it isn't as noticeable... but it's still there.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Last edited by Johl at Jun 26, 2008,
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
Pictures?

I don't have camera access.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

You could have a ground loop causing the problem. Here is a really good article on the subject (guitar being used is a strat but it applies to any pickup wiring).

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
^Thanks... I've read part of that article already, but not the whole thing. I'll give it another go.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

Nope, never mind. According to that article, I did everything right. I guess the only thing to do is take it apart, and put it back together piece by piece.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

Quote by Johl
I also have another ground coming off the volume to a grounding ring that is then screwed into the guitar body itself

...what...

are the back of your pots also connected to the ground from the ground on the output jack?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
i guess there's no way to access the bridge for ground? it's amazing what a difference that makes. i soldered pups into one of my guitars last week and they buzzed like hell until i put strings on it... now they dont hum at all
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology