will a 75 watts amp be loud enough for band practice?
i am talking about laney RB3
this amp is never(ever) going to be used for giging, ok maybe some really small gigs with a decent PA system

or should i just go with the RB4(160 watts)

but the thing is that a 15" is not what i would preffer
i think 12" are punchier and overall nicer sounding, but i dont want to push the amp,

and i have tryed lots of amps but only laney RBs have the sound i want at my price range

also i have acces to some nice amps in case of gigs
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I use a Peavey 80 watt for my band. (the amp is 20+ years old) It works alright, but gets distortion when I play it loud, but it has a nice distortion... hard to explain. I wish I could have more wattage though.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by litus
will a 75 watts amp be loud enough for band practice?
i am talking about laney RB3
this amp is never(ever) going to be used for giging, ok maybe some really small gigs with a decent PA system

or should i just go with the RB4(160 watts)

but the thing is that a 15" is not what i would preffer
i think 12" are punchier and overall nicer sounding, but i dont want to push the amp,

and i have tryed lots of amps but only laney RBs have the sound i want at my price range

also i have acces to some nice amps in case of gigs

Hell yes, but remember more wattage DOESN'T mean more Volume, what ever the case, the 160 watts is bigtime overkill.
Honestly I think you'll be more than fine. I use a Kustom 65 Watt for band practice and I usually end up turning it down a bit.
Quote by ShaunDiel
Hell yes, but remember more wattage DOESN'T mean more Volume, what ever the case, the 160 watts is bigtime overkill.
You're in the bass forum. Some of us have 400W amps (and are thinking of getting a 600W Genz )

I would think the Laney would be okay for practising with your band, but you'd be better off getting a used Peavey or something.
Haha, yeah, Genz Benz ftw! I was playing through a Genz Benz Diablo at the towns music shop yesterday, man, what a piece of gear. But I was short 3500 bucks.

I don't see the point of stores bringing in such big pieces of gear in small places like where I live, they'll never sell it off, except maybe on a very rare occasion. The right place to sell that stuff is in the city.

But yeah, I use an Ampeg BA-115 for practice, and it can get pretty loud. Excellent deal for 400 bucks. You should get one, it's a middle of the road amp, good for beginners, and good for advanced players. Lots of controls on it, you can get a bunch of different sounds from it. But yeah, that's my recommendation.
Last edited by Overture at Jun 26, 2008,
It may barely cut it, but it is quite depressing when I crank my 100 watt amp at practice, only to barely hear myself. You may want more watts just for piece of mind. If you are in the UK, an Ashdown MAG shouldn't be too expensive, and it will give you piece of mind.

EDIT: Saw you had another Laney in your post. You may as well get the higher wattage one. A 12 may sound better at low volumes, but the fact you won't be pushing the 15 as hard may result in THAT one sounding better.
I use a Kustom 30 Watt for playing and practice and I only have the volume at 4 max.
EDIT: Oh rofl, this is the bass forum, my bad.
Our bassist uses a 100 Watt Kustom that works just dandy for playing gigs and practicing (Gigs did have good acoustics mind you.). I think you should aim for something at 200 Watt or better though.
Last edited by Fliko at Jun 26, 2008,
if you actually practice, by this i mean not trying to blast eachothers ears out, than a 75 watt will be more than enough. The max i push my crate to is 5 and its a 100 watt amp.
-GEAR-

-Ibanez SZ520
-Fender Standard Mexican Tele
-Specter Legend 4 Bass
AMPS
-Crate GLX212
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Fender BLX 220
but should i go with 75 watts? or more power will be better

cause i tried an ampeg BA with 100 watts and i needed to crank that thing to be loud enoung in band practice
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by smb
You're in the bass forum. Some of us have 400W amps (and are thinking of getting a 600W Genz )

I would think the Laney would be okay for practising with your band, but you'd be better off getting a used Peavey or something.

Kill me please.
Quote by litus
but should i go with 75 watts? or more power will be better

cause i tried an ampeg BA with 100 watts and i needed to crank that thing to be loud enoung in band practice

Ah...you found out the issue with most BA series amps. 100 watts (very very quiet).

Always go for the best amp with the most headroom that your budget can withstand.
I tried out a Laney RB3 or 4 (can't remember) in some practice rooms and I have to say that IMO it was pants! It just didn't have the punch or power to compete with the guitar and the drums.

I'd advise at least a 100-120W amp. Even then, you would have very little headroom for gigs, but for band practice, it should be fine.
signature
an Ashdown EB series would do pretty good for rehersals, even gigs. Its got 180watts, comes wtih either a 15" or 12" speacker.
Try to find an amp with much power (many watts)!
You dont wanna turn the amp on full volume, but have some to spare if you understand!
Quote by ShaunDiel
Kill me please.

you're not a bassist, are you?

definitely, go for as much power as you can in an amp, it's ridiculous how loud guitars and drums will go, and bass gets the short end of the stick, volume-wise.

whoever said you should try Ashdown is a wise man. I'm looking into a MAG soon myself.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
i would love to try ashdown
but i cant find any ashdown in my country
i have looked in every single store in my city, ok maybe not every single one, but a bunch of them
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
hey i just have an idea!
the RB3 has a DI output
so could i just run it trough the PA? or would that mess up the sound of vocals?
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Honestly, the smaller one will be just fine for practice. I practiced and played small gigs with a Peavey Basic 40 for quite a while, never had any problems with anything but the larger gigs, in which case it was mic'd.

And yes, the PA should be fine....vocals don't really share the same sonic space as the bass unless you're practicing with Barry White.
Nope, no sig here.
Watch out if you have cheap monitors, my bass blew out my mates monitors...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Ok so I have a 300w amp and thats enough to compete with a Marshal Full Stack and a drum kit.
However even though practice was last night my ears are still ringing.
Levels get way way way to high at our practices. But thats what happens when your band won't play at reasonable volumes.

So, after all that what I am trying to say is that 60w will work if you have reasonable band memebers and your drumer has some volume control in his playing. If your drummer wont settle down then you will never be heard.

-Ryan
after another practice i discovered why the ampeg BA100 was not loud enough

it wast the drums... it was my guitarrist with his 100watts tube cranked!!!

anyways i am going to buy my own amp in 2 weeks
and maybe try some others amps in the few time i got
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Hmm im very shocked to hear people using 100 watts of even less for band practices :O. I turn my 150 watt amp up full blast i can barely hear myself .
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Hmm im very shocked to hear people using 100 watts of even less for band practices :O. I turn my 150 watt amp up full blast i can barely hear myself .

maybe your guitarrist is too loud
or your drummer has those really noisy cymbals that i really hate
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400