Today i realized that guitar center has a preferred players card (basically a credit card for the store) and since they have decent payment plans ive decided to buy a decent bass(i love my six string but its time for a change). Im trying to decide between a either a hofner or a musicman. ive heard that musicmans have great tone but ive heard the same about hofner. any input would be appreciated.
Haha, Don't go near Hofner when you've got Musicman on the other hand. Personally, I can't stand the Hofner sound (The Beatle Bass, ewww), and the Musicman sound, I can't get enough of. In fact, I bought a Musicman Stingray 4HH today, and It's my best purchase in years. I'm very, very pleased with it.
hofner = bad
musicman = good

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Hofners are generally dreadful are they not?

Play the dreaded Hofner Beatle Bass and you will know child, you will know.
i want technical input and not personal opinions.

hofners wouldnt cost so much if they were so crappy would they?
I could sell someone a giant steaming pile of dog crap for $5000 if they were stupid and paid me for it because they think it cures cancer or some such... but it wouldn't cost so much if it didn't, would it?
you have crap that cures cancer?!?!!?

and good point.

but still, Bass Players latest magazine had an article about Hofner and said good things. very good things
Quote by crawshay
i want technical input and not personal opinions.

hofners wouldnt cost so much if they were so crappy would they?

Gibson basses beg to differ.

I played a Hofner and was not impressed at all. The width of the neck was so incredibly tiny and the whole instrument felt flimsy. That of course, went along with the poor sound quality. A few months ago I played a HS Stingray and I loved it.
A musicman is a one trick pony in my opinion. Though, this is coming from someone who doesn't really care for EBMMs.

Now a Warwick...that's money well spent right there.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
A musicman is a one trick pony in my opinion.

Yeah, a Stingray isn't that versatile. But a Bongo can play just about anything.

I'm not sure why everyone is so adamantly against Hofner. They have a distinctive sound and feel that is about impossible to emulate with other instruments.

For sheer versatility, the Musicman Bongo wins hands down. But Stingrays and Hofners both are great for both their characteristic tones.