Well, recently I've bought a Big Muff, and so far it hasn't been the greatest..
It sounds like there's a brick wall infront of the amp whenever I switch it on, and it's extremely bassy no matter how much I play with the tone on the amp, guitar, and pedal...

Please help!
What kind of amp and what kind of guitar?
what did you expect it to sound like?

There's other fuzz pedals on the market that aren't that bassy and gritty.
I've got a Mustang through a Fender Vibro Champ XD...
The main reason I bought it is because of the Siamese Dream tone.
I'm not even saying its a little bassy, it sounds like @$$...
Maybe it got screwed up in production? No clue.
^ Well what i've found with the Big Muff is that it's a love/hate thing. I tried one of the new Big Muff Pi's and found almost no use for it. As you said sounded quite bad (in my opinion, some people can get cool sounds out of em' but it isn't suited for everyone).

It has it's uses but if you don't like the tone i'd get something else. If you think the pedal is a dud, try a couple other ones in a store and see if you like those. Also with the muffs turning em' up all the way seems to help.

That's really all I can say for the muff. Not very familiar with Smashing Pumpkins tones either, good luck.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Are you using it with the OD on your amp?

Cause I've found that when used with an overdriven amp they do sound like ass. It works better if the OD comes before the pedal instead of after.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
Are you using it with the OD on your amp?

Cause I've found that when used with an overdriven amp they do sound like ass. It works better if the OD comes before the pedal instead of after.

What? Are you saying that it sounds like ass on the OD channel of an amp, or that it sounds better with an OD pedal in front of it, or both?

I personally find that it sounds best with the tone 1/2 way up, the sustain almost completely backed off (no more than 1/4), and the volume to taste.

If it's bassy, roll up some more tone and less sustain. Use it with the OD on your amp and an OD pedal if you have one. It's going to be full and thick, though, and that's kinda the point. It's not thin, like a fuzz face. Use your bridge pickup, too.
^ I was saying both. It sounds bad in front of an OD channel, but sounds good after an OD pedal.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
^ I was saying both. It sounds bad in front of an OD channel, but sounds good after an OD pedal.

Well, the first depends on the amp's voicing. It sounds better on certain amps than others. The second, I'll agree with.
Quote by Zex.
Well, recently I've bought a Big Muff, and so far it hasn't been the greatest..
It sounds like there's a brick wall infront of the amp whenever I switch it on, and it's extremely bassy no matter how much I play with the tone on the amp, guitar, and pedal...

Please help!

if it is the russian big muff, big mistake cuz if it is, you have to run it on a battery, there is no ac adapter jack. but i know what you mean, i used to have one and the reason to why it is so bassy is because, i could be wrong but i believe it is a fuzz pedal, and typically fuzz pedals give you those really bassy tones like the song voodoo child by hendrix (if you dont know that song, shame on you )

i use the metal muff and i love it!!! built like a brick house but my guess is that if you bought the big muff, metal probably isnt your forte.
Last edited by cowboyfrmhell89 at Jun 26, 2008,
Thanks alot guys! Do you think I should return it and buy a Boss Overdrive? I believe Jimmy Page used one of those, and I dig Zeppelin tone...
Quote by Zex.
Thanks alot guys! Do you think I should return it and buy a Boss Overdrive? I believe Jimmy Page used one of those, and I dig Zeppelin tone...

Now that's an area I can probably help in.

As far as I know I think Jimmy used an SD-1 (might be a different Boss pedal i'll have to recheck that) but that was after Zep.

For Zep tones there are alot of options depending on what year or sound your going for. Early material like Led Zeppelin I, a Tonebender clone would most likely work.

Another option is to just turn up your tube amp and get some natural overdrive.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by Zex.

Keep the muff and play around with it some more. It's actually very versatile, and can give you some really nice tones if you tweak it. Getting an overdrive to put behind it would be optimum.