k so I can play cleanly no matter how much gain I use if I'm working off of the neck pickup, but when i switch to the bridge pup I always get unwanted noise if I'm using alot of gain. BTW my amp is a vox valvetronix and this problem occurs when using UK Modern, Numetal and US High Gain. I think the bridge pup has a higher output so my question is is it necessary to use a noise gate in this situation or do i just have to keep on practicing? I would rather not use a noise gate because I feel like it's cheating and takes away from the sound a little. But **** it's hard to sound clean and can't imagine how long i'll have to practice to correct this.....btw I've been playing for almost two years and I'm fine on the bridge pickup at overdrive it's just when i get to some heavy distortion that I have problems...thanx in advance
your getting pickup noise and fret buzz probably.

essentially its feedback, right?
no amount of practice can change that your bridge pickup is sensitive enough to get that buzzy noise.
a noise suppressor is probably the idea. other than really high end pickups, most have that noise. and thats why people use noise suppressors..
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
I think what you need to do before anything else is get over your belief that using a noise gate is "cheating". It's a useful tool and when you start gigging it's a good idea to use so people don't have to hear that irritating noise. Also, I dunno if you already do this or not, but I rest my picking hand over the strings so they don't ring and just release the pressure off a string when I want to play it.
yeah i have the same exact problem with my vox as you. i ust use the overdrive channel and put a ton of distortion. you won't always have enough but you won't get that annoying noise
Just use less gain.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
Just use less gain.

on those channels it happens no matter how little gain you have
Quote by stinger12345
I think what you need to do before anything else is get over your belief that using a noise gate is "cheating". It's a useful tool and when you start gigging it's a good idea to use so people don't have to hear that irritating noise. Also, I dunno if you already do this or not, but I rest my picking hand over the strings so they don't ring and just release the pressure off a string when I want to play it.

hmm makes sense...and yes i already mute the strings im not playing by resting my picking hand on them...thank you all for the quick responses btw and using less gain isn't something I'm considering because the only reason I use high gain when playing lead is for the sustain...I kno i could use less gain and a compressor but I don't like compressors any more than noise suppresors...I dunno guess I'm old fashioned or something