Are SUB stingrays any good?

like if i could get 1 for $850AU used would that be a good bargain?

does anyone own one that they could give some feedback that would be great

thanks in advance
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
ok this is gonna make look dumb if im wrong but a SUB stingray is like a copy of the EBMM stingray but not as good...i think
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
SUB was the cheaper line of Stingrays they only made for a couple of years.

I'd be tempted to go for it if it's active, but I wouldn't go for the passive version.
ok thanks for that smb
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by smb
SUB was the cheaper line of Stingrays they only made for a couple of years.

I'd be tempted to go for it if it's active, but I wouldn't go for the passive version.

If they discontinued them a while back, can you explain to me how there are SUB MM sterlings in circulation? I am fairly sure the sterling came after SUB, which is why I am a tad confused.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
They were discontinued at the end of 2006. The Sterling was introduced in 1993, according to the internet.
does anyone know a company that makes decent copies of stingrays?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Some people view Ibanez ATK as Stingray copies (I think they're their own beast, personally) or you could look around for an OLP Stingray (they're discontinued as of some time last year)
yeh but right now i have a fender standard p-bass and i'm just browsing for stingray copies i might get 1 day

so i need something better or equal to what i have now
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Sounds like you want to try an Ibanez ATK to me. There's various models, the cheapest ones being about the same price and quality as a standard Fender. I have an ATK400 and it's a very very nice instrument that's only ever leaving my possession if I find a 5 string version of that model
yeahhhhhhhhhhhh but i want a stingray not a ibanez

il check out the website now though

EDIT: thanks for your help SMB also do you know any other good models by ibanez?

and how is the atk?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Jun 26, 2008,
is it possible that i could make my own stingray just curious

like i could get an OLP body, EBMM neck, switch out the electronics

could that work?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I loved my SUB when I had one. The only real difference was the wood and the paint job. Well worth the cash IMO, people often told me it sounded just like a Stingray (or even said "Nice stingray").
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
how bout like making you own stingray like i stated before UtBDan?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I own a SUB. It's my main bass. I have ONE complaint with it. The finish on the neck. The SUB's neck has a glossy paint finish on the back, which some people (including myself) don't like. After 5-10 minutes of playing, it starts to feel VERY sticky compared to, say, my Fender Precision which has a more slick finish.

But other than that, I highly recommend the SUB (But ACTIVE ONLY, not the passive version!) . It cops the Stingray tone 99%. You can get a used SUB for about the same price as a new ATK, and to be honest I prefer the SUB. The ATK that I tried did not have the same high-end "sizzle" that the SUB/Stingray has; it seemed to have a darker, more low-centered tone.

I'm sure that no matter what you buy, you'll be happy with it though.
ok thanks for that

but i would still like some thoughts on putting together your own stingray
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
No problem. If you have any questions in particular about any specific parts/aspects of the SUB, I'd be happy to help you out!

Edit: Oh I didn't see that last part about putting together your own Stingray. Don't do it. That's actually what led me to buy the SUB. I own an OLP 'Ray that I wanted to put an EBMM neck on and get a nice aftermarket pickup. I was searching for an EBMM neck for awhile before I just gave up... they're hard to find, and when you do find them, they're PRICEY. The straw that broke the camel's back was finally finding a real EBMM neck and seeing that it sold for a little over $500..... you could buy a SUB for that price! So I just bought the SUB and I'm VERY happy with it... the OLP has now shifted into a new role (Flatwounds + D-standard tuning), and I've got a SUB that's just as good as a $1000 Stingray. I'm happy.
Last edited by nickn at Jun 26, 2008,
how are the electronics on the SUB?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I do not support the idea of 'building your own stingray', especially if you're very new to playing, especially if you're essentially upgrading an OLP and not actually building one.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
ok but i kinda meant i like a few years not now

and also i was thinking of the top of my head like only keeping the body of the OLP
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
There is a little bit of hum in the SUB when I have the treble pot maxed out -- only when maxed out though. Otherwise, it's silent. The pots seem to be simply boost knobs rather than boost/cut -- there's no center detent, and the bass still doesn't sound that bad when the knobs are zeroed.

And sonsie, did you see my edit on the last page about building your own Ray?
oh ok sorry i just read it now

thanks for that i think il just look out for a decent SUB or maybe an ATK
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
ok but i kinda meant i like a few years not now

and also i was thinking of the top of my head like only keeping the body of the OLP

oh, keeping the body of the OLP? in that case, the very end of my quote was directed directly at this situation.

"especially if you're essentially upgrading an OLP and not actually building one"
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
You cannot get MusicMan necks from EBMM without returning the old one. You can't even send back your fretted neck and buy a fretless neck if you own a MM. They are seriously strict on distributing parts, because they're concerned about fakes.
lol ok UtBDan i will not upgrade or 'build' a stingray

but i will be on the lookout for a SUB or ATK
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
can i just ask y is the bridge on the ATK look so funny?

it like connects with the pick ups
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by nickn
I own a SUB. It's my main bass. I have ONE complaint with it. The finish on the neck. The SUB's neck has a glossy paint finish on the back, which some people (including myself) don't like. After 5-10 minutes of playing, it starts to feel VERY sticky compared to, say, my Fender Precision which has a more slick finish.

That's because, as far as I am aware the necks of all MM basses are unfinished, you have to keep refinishing them to keep them slick.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I remember seeing on the EBMM website that SUB stands for 'Sports Utility Bass' which is like the coolest name for a bass ever.

I was once considering making my own Stingray, but that idea went down the toilet when I realised it would cost a stupid amount in the end.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I have played OLPs and SUBs and I own an EBMM Stingray. Here's the equation

OLP < SUB < EBMM. However the quality and sound gap between the OLP and the SUB is greater than between the SUB and the EBMM

SUBs are nice basses and were EBs "economic answer" to those who couldn't afford a EBMM. They are discontinued like Boyce said, but they still can be found on Ebay and in many shops. As I've said before my local shop has had one for some time in the racks. It sounded solid when I played it, the only thing that turned me off was it was a really nasty burgundy colour. I was considering buying it and then I found my EBMM FL and it became a moot point.

I would avoid the OLPs. They are OK starter basses, but I don't think their even worth modding.
ok thanks for that anarkee
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all