What exactly are the purpose of bar chords? I understand that some chords are impossible to play without barring (F for example), but what's the point of the bar chords far up the neck? I understand they are voiced different (different as in no sustain and very brittle sounding compared to open chords and bars further down), but otherwise why learn these chords when an open chord or bar chord further down on the neck sounds so much better? Is there some other purpose?

For example, a D chord. You have your standard open D, then an A shaped one on the 5th fret, why learn the E shaped one on the 10th fret? On an acoustic it sounds terrible, and on an electric it's pretty weak.
Yeah, the A,E BARRES are fairly easy, but open chords are even easier. So usually the purpose of bars is to be able to play these chords with distortion?
the purpose is to transpose their sound to another octave while being the same chord. With the same chord construction.
tonal possibilities and better with distortion
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
It's a guitar dude.
You can do whatever the f*ck you want.
"Why learn chords way up the neck"?
Why NOT?
Your just going to expand your skill and knowledge with the instrument.
So just calm down.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
I think they're easyer to play after you know how to play them. It's easyer to switch from a C bar chord to a D bar than switching from a C chord to a D chord because you just move your fingers down the neck in the same shape.
Barre chords give you options. An open A may not sound as good as a barre A, and in addition, try plucking and strumming different strings. It gives a way better tone, and actually there's a couple Van Halen songs (IE; intro to Panama) and Stone Sour (Bother) where the rhythm is played just by picking different strings in a barre.

If you really practice and experiment with barre chords, you'll answer your own question
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Thanks everyone.

Quote by kirkadolph
It's a guitar dude.
You can do whatever the f*ck you want.
"Why learn chords way up the neck"?
Why NOT?
Your just going to expand your skill and knowledge with the instrument.
So just calm down.

I asked a question, I didn't realize I came across a huge raging monster.
Quote by Siren Silently

Don't sweat it. On the internet, as in life, some people are just d*cks.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Barre chords give you a lot more control as well since you can mute them by lifting up your barre finger.
The notes used in a barre chord are different from the open chord. Here is an example

E Open chord
0 E
0 B
1 G#
2 E
2 B
0 E

E barre chord
X
7 G#
7 E
7 B
5 E
X
(The strings with x's are not played)
The 2 chords have the same notes, although the notes are not played in the same place. This is one reason to know barre chords.
Quote by Siren Silently
Thanks everyone.

Ha yeah, sorry bro.

From- the d*ck.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
E barre chord
X
7 G#
7 E
7 B
5 E
X
(The strings with x's are not played)
The 2 chords have the same notes, although the notes are not played in the same place. This is one reason to know barre chords.

Thats a D chord, not an E.
Barre chords are to the guitar as spice is to food. Would you rather eat a plain hamburger on a bun, or spice it up with a little salt and pepper, maybe some onion, then add on some ketchup and mustard?
Barre chords give a lot of flavor to the music you can play on a guitar because the different voicings of the open chords can be more melodic, brighter, darker, more mellow and so on.
Quote by tom183
Thats a D chord, not an E.

haha yeah thats the first thing I thought... to go further a barre chord does have the same notes as an open chord but because the notes are on different strings and may have less duplicates (is there a musical term for this, adding more root notes?) the tone changes.
You don't have to put your finger across all the strings in a barre chord, you know.

Hendrix used his thumb on the sixth string and used his first finger to only barre the 1st and 2nd strings.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by qsceszxdwa
the purpose is to transpose their sound to another octave while being the same chord. With the same chord construction.

One use that wasn't mentioned right away. A chord an octave up or down could greatly change how a song sounds so it gives more variety.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Barre chords also lead on to other things, they help you learn to navigate around the neck and provide you with waypoints for soloing. The techniques you learn to play barre chords also have applications outside of just playing the chords themselves.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com