I've been playing about a year now, mainly metalcore, but I really want to play death metal. I jammed with a friend of mine and he told me my fretting fingers can't keep up with my picking hand, so I've been hammering out chromatic scales all day, trying to increase the speed. Other then that, any tutorials/guides/lessons on their? Any easy songs? I really want to play this style of music (such as suffocation, immolation, deicide, and decapitated) but I don't have a clue on how to start. Most of the tremolo riffs I come up with suck anyway.

Thanks UG.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
Death metal vs. metalcore?

Hmm.

Maybe I just don't know much about metal...
you could start out with some early cannibal corpse, then work your way to some of the harder, more technical stuff.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
I've been practicing hard, I just don't exactly know what to practice haha. How to go about it. Like I can create some catchy metalcore riffs, but I can't for the life of me create a catchy death metal riff. Unless it's a few chords and ****.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Quote by ReinventingEvil
I've been practicing hard, I just don't exactly know what to practice haha. How to go about it. Like I can create some catchy metalcore riffs, but I can't for the life of me create a catchy death metal riff. Unless it's a few chords and ****.

You have to listen to as much DM as you can. And not just straight DM either, go into technical and brutal and even melodic if you want too. Just to get ideas flowing. Learn a lot of different songs from different bands also.
Arch Enemy is a bit tough if you're a beginner, but they have some great rhythms and leads. They're good tabs are a bit hard to find though, unless you have guitar pro.

Oh and Dethklok if you want to detune a bit
SPAM:

Good deals: rok-en-rol, truespin, ICFootball62, IndianScout, tinypants, HartRacer86, Huntred_67, Perandor, and many others from HC
Norther has some pretty straight forward songs, although it's extremely hard to find tabs for them, even if you have guitar pro.
Thanks all. Any other tips? For instance, scales to practice, riffs to learn, any tutorials or anything...i need anything I can soak up, not just music itself, as I listen to a plethora of death metal.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

just strt slow.
learn some songs that you like.
you probley wont get them full speed, but keep workin on it, it'll get there.
then once you understand what they are doing and how to do it, use their songs, and make your own.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by aznmetalhead93
Norther has some pretty straight forward songs, although it's extremely hard to find tabs for them, even if you have guitar pro.

Their solos are pretty damn hard for a beginner.

They are such a good band though, dont understand why they arnt huge yet. I rank them at par with bodom, dark tranquillity, in flames.

And to the guy who said arch enemy..+1000000. All of their music has given me so many ideas.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I'm tryin to get into death metal too an I was havin trouble figurin out where to start as well... I been tryin to listen to alot of different bands an I also went to musicians friend an bought the Alexi Laiho instruction DVD... Haven't got them in yet soo can't tell you if they're crap or not but hey its a start =]
Maybe try some deathcore bands...I would say the red shore, but there aren't any tabs
FLOYD IS A BAT!
Listen to In Flames. Melodic Death.

And... Opeth anyone?
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
start out slow on any song, then speed up gradually.
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
I listen to opeth frequently and I refuse to listen to deathcore, that is terrible. I'm not a beginner, I'd say I'm intermediate (I can play a lot of as i lay dying, all that remains, metallica etc) rather well, it's just I can't accommodate to the death metal style for a couple reasons, mainly the speed (in both hands) and the creativity.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Take a look to some thrash metal bands like kreator,slayer,testament,etc...It will increase your speed and picking accuracy. My thought!
Current Gear:
Jackson DK2L
Cort X-2 LH
Bandit 112 80w
Listen to underground death metal. You'll find the best stuff there, stuff not tampered with by producers.
I recommend some morbid angel. Try some stuff on altars of madness. Also give early Cannibal Corpse a shot.
Try and keep an even balance of tremolo, palm muting, sliding, pinch harmonics, and power chord patterns in your music. The thing that made the classics so good is that they kept it exciting, and never the two same techniques throughout a song/album.

Newer bands seem to forget that and go all out on one technique per song. Oh, and wildly chaotic, atonal solos always help.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Mung bean
Maybe try some deathcore bands...I would say the red shore, but there aren't any tabs

[SARCASM]Yeah, red shore songs will be a walk in the park for somebody thats been playing for a year[/SARCASM]
Jamie, if you dont know what youre talking about, dont ****ing post

Anyways i know theyre deathcore but try suicide silence, most of their songs are just a couple of powerchords and teh occasional trem pick or pinch harmonic
Quote by Lolcheez324
1 time i was home alone and i said i want a cheeseburger and then mah dad got home and he had a bag of potatoes
Quote by ReinventingEvil
Thanks all. Any other tips? For instance, scales to practice, riffs to learn, any tutorials or anything...i need anything I can soak up, not just music itself, as I listen to a plethora of death metal.

good death metal riffss are made by shifting between semi-tones and not taking whole steps.
good riffs to learn when starting out are hammer smashed face by cannibal corpse
stench of redeption by deicide
and
enter the machine by arch enemy for some interesting lead stuff
and minor scales of all kinds are what help best i supppose.