I've read a few little bits about them as of late and they really seem like something I would be intrested in getting down the road. I really haven't been able to find much information, despite using google. So mainly I have a bunch of questions:

Can someone put a price on one of these? (I imagine the graphite neck is going to push that up kinda high.)

Anyone own one? Thoughts about it? Sound good?

Can someone point me to some specs? (Yes, I've already googled)

Other random information is also appreciated.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jun 26, 2008,
you reckon you could give us a link for it?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
you reckon you could give us a link for it?

Link? You want a link? There's never been any links!

Basicly, I have nothing at all. I haven't really found a that much information on them, and I'm still working on tracking one down.
i went on the musicman website and it wasnt there

i mean can you give us an image or something to work off?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
they look pretty sweet does anyone know anything bout them?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Search them on bassplayer.com. Dave Pomeroy did a retro review on one a few issues back.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
im on the website but i cant find the review

a little help would be good though
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
im on the website but i cant find the review

a little help would be good though

Types "cutlass" into Bass Players search and immediately finds:
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/retro-rama-1980/Dec-07/32795

Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
could you just summarise it for me?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
It looks like an old model that's been discontinued to me
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
Dude! Read it yourself. Bloody hell man

Anyway, looks interesting.
Captain Insano, Have you found one that you can buy or have access to play or something?

I haven't been able to find a Cutlass, I've found a few Sabres.

I just bought a car and paid for my first semester, so I really don't have alot of expenses for the next couple months so I was thinking about picking up some new gear.

Basicly I'm doing some investigating, if I like what I see I'll track one down.
Hello Captain Insano, I have a Musicman Cutlas I. If you happen to be in North Carolina, Look me up and I'd be glad to let you check it out. I have had this guitar for some years now. I bought it from a friend of mine who played with Nantuckett back in the day. It has been my #1 since, in fact I sold all my other basses after aquireing this one. I knew shortly after playing it live the first few times that I'd probably never play the others again. The feeling, resonance and tones in various picking positions was incredible. I have tried out several highend basses and although they were VERY FINE instruments, the playability was not there. My Musicman, to me, is very inspirational and powerful. If you would like pics, shoot me an email to J03333@Lycos.com , I'd be happy to send them to you. MusicmanCutlas
TS, besides musicman cutlass's post, altho it seems a little strange he doesn't know how to spell cutlass, maybe you could look into modulus since they have graphite necks.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
If I remember correctly, this was the bass model that Flea used for a lot of early RHCP recordings (possibly why his Modulus signature also had a graphite neck), even though most people associate him with the stingray.

Produced for a brief spell in the early to mid-80s.

If you want one then you'll have a bit of a challenge, they're pretty damn rare.

Alternatives would be Modulus or Status Basses. They're the two off the top of my head that are famous for their graphite necks.

Good luck!
Quote by Jateca
If I remember correctly, this was the bass model that Flea used for a lot of early RHCP recordings (possibly why his Modulus signature also had a graphite neck), even though most people associate him with the stingray.

Produced for a brief spell in the early to mid-80s.

If you want one then you'll have a bit of a challenge, they're pretty damn rare.

Alternatives would be Modulus or Status Basses. They're the two off the top of my head that are famous for their graphite necks.

Good luck!

yeah I want to say he recorded Freaky Styley with the cutlass, but it might have been the self titled album.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.