first let me define an inappropriate cover, i see this as a cover song which the ensemble you play in does not have the necesssary instruments to play, too many instruments or just missing something.

so i was wondering do any of y'all ever want to do a cover like this in your band and make it your own.

currently i want to get my 3-piece blues-rock/Desert rock band to play
Sing, Sing, Sing - Glenn Miller
Moondance - Van Morrison
let's get it on - Marvin Gaye
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Free Time
you don't need a trombone just because the original song has a trombone

/thread

i wasn't saying i can't i was asking if anyone else tries to/likes to do **** like this
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
All the time.
I like "metal-ing" or "techno-ing" certain songs.
Also, I play on and off in a grindcore/death metal band, and we do alot of stoner metal covers, just faster.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by rhymeswith suck
All the time.
I like "metal-ing" or "techno-ing" certain songs.
Also, I play on and off in a grindcore/death metal band, and we do alot of stoner metal covers, just faster.

you can't do that with every song. just look at children of bodom's cover of iron maiden's aces high. it sucked. sometimes songs can't be made better.

some songs it might work with, though. depends.
Did I say I was covering NWOBHM? Is CHildren of Bodom grindcore?

I've heard covers of The Trooper byin a full out doom style, and though that might upset some Maiden fans, it was actually pretty cool, and a good example of what the TS is asking.

Actually, Bodom did a very humorous cover of "Don't stop believing" by Journey at gigantour. It probably can't be considered as musically tasteful, but it was humourous and fun. Just as much as I've heard covers of the trooper byin a full out doom style, and thoug that might upset some Maiden fans, it was actually pretty cool.

I'll agree with you on the point that not every song can be re-arranged for a different style.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by rhymeswith suck
Did I say I was covering NWOBHM? Is CHildren of Bodom grindcore?

I've heard covers of The Trooper byin a full out doom style, and though that might upset some Maiden fans, it was actually pretty cool, and a good example of what the TS is asking.

Actually, Bodom did a very humorous cover of "Don't stop believing" by Journey at gigantour. It probably can't be considered as musically tasteful, but it was humourous and fun. Just as much as I've heard covers of the trooper byin a full out doom style, and thoug that might upset some Maiden fans, it was actually pretty cool.

I'll agree with you on the point that not every song can be re-arranged for a different style.

thank you.
I love arranging music for instruments they weren't originally composed on. Recently I've been working on arranging lots of the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack on piano. They're nowhere near as good as the ones from the official piano collection but it's still fun for me, and very educational.
One of the arrangements I've done that I'm very pleased with is Bangkok by Steve Vai (can't remember who did it originally) on nylon string acoustic. It's all tricky fingerpicked stuff. I need to find out a way of finishing it though, there's no way I could go through the whole of Fire Garden Suite.
When I went to see Dream Theater last year, while the roadies were setting the stage up there was a medley of DT's music played by a string quartet. It sounded pretty cool and I'd like to attempt to do the same for myself but I don't have the time at the moment. And it would probably sound crap.
Quote by Eirien
I love arranging music for instruments they weren't originally composed on. Recently I've been working on arranging lots of the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack on piano. They're nowhere near as good as the ones from the official piano collection but it's still fun for me, and very educational.
One of the arrangements I've done that I'm very pleased with is Bangkok by Steve Vai (can't remember who did it originally) on nylon string acoustic. It's all tricky fingerpicked stuff. I need to find out a way of finishing it though, there's no way I could go through the whole of Fire Garden Suite.
When I went to see Dream Theater last year, while the roadies were setting the stage up there was a medley of DT's music played by a string quartet. It sounded pretty cool and I'd like to attempt to do the same for myself but I don't have the time at the moment. And it would probably sound crap.

Sometimes I like to play stuff on the piano that's originally on guitar. I have an electronic piano where you can change what sound it makes/what instrument it is, and it helps that some of it has the notes written above the key.
We did this for alot of my bands covers. However mostly it was becasue we had to many instruments rather than not enough. We have a trombone and trumpet player since were primarily ska based. However, all we would do is either:
a) write a new part that wasn't in the song at all
b) Take out vocal backups and have the horns play that.
c) Give them a solo section'
d) Have them sit the song out (they never did like that though and im not sure why )
i usually take ska songs and add a little punk rock and replace any horns with loud distortion guitar