I've posted before about this about a month ago. Right now I'm using a Peavey Rage 258, I'm managing to get a decent tone, but not great, I'd like something better. Anyways the only thing that's changed is that I was talking to a friend and I may end up in a band shortly, we're going to try and set something up. So now the issue of being loud is coming up. I was thinking of maybe going with a royal 8 as an upgrade but now I'm wondering if that would cut it at practice or small gigs. My friend said if i got really lucky i may find a valvking or classic 30 for around 200 which is about my price range. However if I were to get one of these, I'd still play a lot just in my room so it can't be too too loud. I play a lot of different things but I''m starting to play more metally/hardcore-screamo-ish sort of stuff but still would like to play just normal rock toned music.

So with my price range around 200, what are my options, new or used for something that could give me good tone (I'm assuming that I'd get a pedal as well) for what I'd like to play but also be able to provide enough noise for a band practice or small gig? I'd prefer tube but if there's a great solid state I'd go with that as well, I realize nothing is going to be amazing but what are some things I should consider looking at. I plan on trying things out at a music store but I won't know volume well enough based on what they'd let me play so that's more why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I have more, it's just a matter of how much I'm willing to spend, I'm still fairly new to guitar so I don't want something that will completely kill my wallet quite yet
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Honestly, I would save up. Use the money on a nice distortion pedal and then use that while you save up around $600 for a nice amp. You will get passable tone, and it will be MUCH nicer than all the other people using Spiders and MGs at gigs. Then sell the amp and pedal and use that towards your new amp in the future.

I would look at some of these.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Damage-Control-Solid-Metal-Dual-Tube-Distortion-Pedal-154702-i1165101.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT-DISTX-Tube-High-Gain-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-152009-i1395624.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guyatone-MM-X-Metal-Monster-Tube-Distortion-155041-i1124861.gc
Well see the reason I'm asking is because there's a music shop in my area that makes great deals on used amps from what I've seen, my friend got a classic 50 212 for 450 so I was wondering if there were certain models that could potentially fall around the 200 mark, ones that would be like 400 otherwise, I'm not asking for the last amp I'll ever get, just something with good tone that I could use at small gigs
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
There aren't really any good amps for metal until the $600 mark IMO. Then you get into used Mesa F-30s and used Peavey 5150s. Until then, I would go the pedal route because the Peavey you have is a nice enough amp (for SS) and a good pedal would upgrade your tone enough to make you happy for quite a while I would think. Then when you get pickier about tone you can sell all of that and look for the amps I mentioned earlier.

Edit: I confused the Rage with the Peavey Bandit. I forgot the rage is so small. Try to get a peavey Bandit. Cheap, loud, and pretty good sounding for a low endish amp. Maybe scrape some more money together and take the plunge and get the Bandit and one of those pedals.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Jun 26, 2008,
Hows the ibanez stomp box?
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Read your local craigslist religiously. Or whatever you have near you for used gear.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile