Ok so I'm pretty much a beginner guitarist, been playing for about a year and a half. And I plan on buying a new set-up in a few months so I need some help on the amp.

I want a nice combo amp that sounds similar to bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, and so on. Pretty heavy stuff I guess. It's gotta handle some heavy chords and beastly solos.

I'm thinking about a price range of up to about $350. Just something nice to start out with. I'm leaning towards a Line 6 just because I have played on one and it was amazing, but that was just one amp and I dont really know much.

So any help would be awesome, thanks. :p
Quote by Ex Shred
Ok so I'm pretty much a beginner guitarist, been playing for about a year and a half. And I plan on buying a new set-up in a few months so I need some help on the amp.

I want a nice combo amp that sounds similar to bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, and so on. Pretty heavy stuff I guess. It's gotta handle some heavy chords and beastly solos.

I'm thinking about a price range of up to about $350. Just something nice to start out with. I'm leaning towards a Line 6 just because I have played on one and it was amazing, but that was just one amp and I dont really know much.

So any help would be awesome, thanks. :p

facepalm/

with that money you can get 112 peavy valveking. can get pretty brutal, its cheap, versatile and sounds decent.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
facepalm/

with that money you can get 112 peavy valveking. can get pretty brutal, its cheap, versatile and sounds decent.

+1
for that budget at least
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
avoid line 6 at all costs. you think they are amazing until you play a real amp

i was planning on spending 400 on the halfstack thank god i didnt and i got a tube amp instead

i was so silly last year

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

i was really dubious with the valveking when my buddy bought it...

its like a total giveaway for a decent tube amp... there must be something fishy inside... hahaha!
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

New Peavey Valveking, used Randall RG50TC or used B-52 AT-112 would be great.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I was in the same place you were a year ago man. I play lots of metalcore; as blood runs black, as i lay dying, killwhitneydead, pretty high gain stuff. I was playing on a pretty crappy practice amp haha and I hated every tone I could get. So I went out and spent $380 and got myself what I thought sounded pretty good at the time (peavey bandit 112) and now I'm a bit more mature in my playing and I can give you a piece of advice and just hope you learn from my mistake.

Save your money.

Wait till you have enough for better equipment. You'll just regret buying something cheap. (especially a spider).

If you don't actually need a new amp right now (assuming you're not currently practicing with a drummer or what not) then just wait. YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF in the long run.

IF you think you REALLY need a new amp; your best friend is now craigslist and your second best friend is ebay. Try to find a used tube amp; peavey XXX, peavey ultra, peavey 5150, B-52 AT series are your top picks but you're going to be hardpressed to find them in your price range which is why you should just wait.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Roland Cube 60.
excellent amp, like you won't find anything better for that kind of music, with that budget. at least a new amp anyway.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
I dint know ussually id say screw the vaveking but for that budget just get it and buy a digitech BM down the road.
the tube beats the modelar any day.
if you can and dont mind used go for a crate V30 it would definately be a step up from the VK IMO, if you dont care much about stuff being new.
Quote by DrNick
New Peavey Valveking, used Randall RG50TC or used B-52 AT-112 would be great.

its funny, in australia a brand new b52 is like 50 dollars more than a valveking,
Valveking sounds like muddy sh*t for high gain. I don't see why people bother recommending it. It's doesn't get br00t4l! It gets atrocious.

Of those three SS amps, I'd go with the Bandit, or keep saving. Or look used.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Valveking sounds like muddy sh*t for high gain. I don't see why people bother recommending it. It's doesn't get br00t4l! It gets atrocious.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ISLbk1rbib4

How is that muddy?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by STABxYOU

Yeah a lot of people are saying the Peavy Bandit 112. I have a small 50w Peavy amp and it's pretty nice except for it doesn't have a master volume or regular volume so I can't distort it too much, but besides that it's ok.

And yeah I don't really care if it's used, as long it sounds good.
Quote by tomrules
You can get B-52's here?

if your talking to me, yes we can in aus.

if you live on or near the gold coast, head down to MUSICIANS PRO SHOP in southport near australia fair shopping centre and they've got them

they also have a really nice range of gibsons

wow i sound like a salesman lol
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom

Save your money.

Wait till you have enough for better equipment. You'll just regret buying something cheap. (especially a spider).

If you don't actually need a new amp right now (assuming you're not currently practicing with a drummer or what not) then just wait. YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF in the long run.

IF you think you REALLY need a new amp; your best friend is now craigslist and your second best friend is ebay. Try to find a used tube amp; peavey XXX, peavey ultra, peavey 5150, B-52 AT series are your top picks but you're going to be hardpressed to find them in your price range which is why you should just wait.

This is very good advise. Tone is subjective though so let your ears be the guide if you do go amp testing.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by timzee117
avoid line 6 at all costs. you think they are amazing until you play a real amp

Don't avoid Line 6, just avoid the Line 6 Spiders. A used Line 6 Flextone would be a very good option for the TS.
Save the pennies for a 5150 or Bugera...

Although the VK112 can get pretty close with an OD pedal
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
if you really cant wait a used crate V-30 yould be your best option its way bettor than the valveking.
Quote by rhettro
Don't avoid Line 6, just avoid the Line 6 Spiders. A used Line 6 Flextone would be a very good option for the TS.

+1 if you wanted to play with a lot of effects in a bedroom setting

i do agree that you should save your money a bit more TS
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless