Poll: Which binding style do you prefer? undercut fret ends or flush bound fret ends?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which binding style do you prefer? undercut fret ends or flush bound fret ends?
flush to fretboard (ibanez)
3 50%
flush to fret end (gibson)
3 50%
Voters: 6.
so ibanez uses binding that's flush with the fretboard, requiring undercut fretwire...

gibson and hamer overlap their binding to the fret ends which means you can use fretwire that isnt undercut but overlaps the fret end...

which style do you prefer?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
hm... i've seen where you dont need to undercut the tang on some...

i just mean exposed fret ends or bound fret ends

personally, i like exposed fret ends (flush to the board) i dont like the overlapping ones

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Whichever one has frets that DON'T go into the binding. I hate when the frets go ALL THE WAY across a bound fretboard. Looks like the luthier was just lazy.

edit: Oops...no offense.
This is the gibson style with the little humps in the binding:

im not really seeing it. all of the fretboards i have refretted were the same. bound-wise anyways. i use tang nippers and shape the fret before i even glue it in, and i super glue the ends to the binding itself to keep it down, then i come back with 600 grit paper and an exacto blade and make them look/feel beautiful.