I need a decently-sized amp of my own (I'm currently borrowing my father's Johnson JT50 for playing outside of my bedroom and he'd like it back) and I have no idea what I should go with. I have about $700 dollars to play with, and I need something fairly soonish.

I figure I need at least 50 watts of power, I'm currently playing in small club-type environments, as well as school auditoriums and very small convention hall type deals. The JT50 seems to be loud enough to get over drums in such situations, but maybe more power would be nice, I mean, it's better to overshoot and have to turn down a bit rather than need something bigger later on down the road.

I play a lot of pop-punk stuff, Fall Out Boy* (to each his own, remember ), Paramore, that type of stuff, as well as some classic rock stuff, just a bit of heavier stuff, and some blues every once and a while... Pretty much a bit of everything. So something with decent on-board distortion and gain would be nice, although my Boss DS-1 does the job quite nicely right now. I'd like good cleans, too, for the bluesy stuff.

I'm not a fan of modeling amps, so I'm kinda shying away from that (even though I currently have the JT50, beggars can't be choosers).

I use a Gibson SG, if that matters at all.

I was looking at the Marshall MG100HDFX a bit, I tried one out in the store and it seemed alright, albeit a bit low-gain on the distortion channel for my tastes. I've read a lot on here that people seem to detest the Marshall MG series, though, so I'm sure someone will shoot that down.

If anyone can recommend anything for me at all, I'd really appreciate it, as I'm not very amp-savvy.

*Please don't mock me for my tastes in music.
i personally love MG's.. i love them a lot.. i have the 30 watt, hoping to move up to a half stack when i get the money.. you can get them to sound really good with pedals.. i reccomend the Boss OS-2 for distortion/overdrive.. because it is both.. that coupled with the clean channel on the amp makes it sound great..

others will say "don't get an MG" but if you liked the sound, go for it.. i know i did
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i personally love MG's.. i love them a lot.. i have the 30 watt, hoping to move up to a half stack when i get the money.. you can get them to sound really good with pedals.. i reccomend the Boss OS-2 for distortion/overdrive.. because it is both.. that coupled with the clean channel on the amp makes it sound great..

others will say "don't get an MG" but if you liked the sound, go for it.. i know i did

DO NOT Listen to this guy

Peavey Valvekings are nice.
You know A lot of people hate MG's, and usually at high volumes with a decent amount of gain you get TONS of feedback, and I am talking more then usual. Also at higher volumes it breaks up and becomes completly unclear as to what you are playing. I recomend something that is tube powered, Not solid state, just simply because in the long term the investment would be better.
Thanks for the help, guys, I'll look at the couple of amps you guys mentioned already, anything else anyone might want to recommend?

I do have a question, though; how's loudness of tube amps compared to solid state amps? For instance, the Peavey Classic 30 people keep recommending, how does it stack up in terms of volume to my current amp, the Johnson JT50 (or any 50 watt SS amp)?
If I were you, I'd go for the Peavey ValveKing 112. It's 50 watts tube (which will blow your eardrums when cranked) and i've heard it sounds really good. It's an all tube amp, and only 400 bucks. Take the other 300 you have, and slap some new tubes and a Celestion Vintage 30 on that baby. You'd be set to rock!

By the way, the Marshall halfstack you looked at is a piece of ****! Don't buy it whatever you do. All MG's are crap except for the Zakk Wylde Micro (jk, it's not that great)

Hope that helped
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Last edited by Chance125 at Jun 27, 2008,
Quote by Chance125
If I were you, I'd go for the Peavey ValveKing 112. It's 50 watts tube (which will blow your eardrums when cranked) and i've heard it sounds really good. It's an all tube amp, and only 400 bucks. Take the other 300 you have, and slap some new tubes and a Celestion Vintage 30 on that baby. You'd be set to rock!

By the way, the Marshall halfstack you looked at is a piece of ****! Don't buy it whatever you do. All MG's are crap except for the Zakk Wylde Micro (jk, it's not that great)

Hope that helped
If someone could be so kind, could you explain exactly WHY the MG amps are crap? I'd just like to know what the reasoning behind people's dislike is.
Quote by Ghold125
I see... well, that Marshall is looking a little less shiny, so to speak.

The Peavey Classic 30/112 is looking good, though. Nobody answered my question about volume, though. Does the fact that this is tube make any difference in the volume? Even though it's only 30 watts but tube, would that make it louder/the same/quieter than/as/than my current 50 watt Johnson?
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Jun 27, 2008,
Don't always go for the biggest brand! Sometimes the greatest deals are hidden. You just gotta look, and be willing to do a little research, and usually you will find what you are looking for. With 700$ I would definitely get an all tube amp if I were you. It'll be best in the long run, and it'll really make your SG shine.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Quote by whiteraven119
I see... well, that Marshall is looking a little less shiny, so to speak.

The Peavey Classic 30/112 is looking good, though. Nobody answered my question about volume, though. Does the fact that this is tube make any difference in the volume? Even though it's only 30 watts but tube, would that make it louder/the same/quieter than/as/than my current 50 watt Johnson?

It will get as loud as the 50 watt, but will have less head room (before the signal starts to clip, i.e. distort).

30 watts is definitely gigable, and will retain good cleans.

I say Fender Blues Deluxe/hotrod deluxe, Crate Palomino V32, or a Crate V33/V50. The Blues Deluxe is more of a clean/light overdrive amp, though. Pair it up with a distortion, and you can get a pop-punk sound. The Palomino and the Crate V series both have a bit more bite to them. The V50 is the same price as the Valveking, and sounds better.
Quote by imgooley
It will get as loud as the 50 watt, but will have less head room (before the signal starts to clip, i.e. distort).

30 watts is definitely gigable, and will retain good cleans.

I say Fender Blues Deluxe/hotrod deluxe, Crate Palomino V32, or a Crate V33/V50. The Blues Deluxe is more of a clean/light overdrive amp, though. Pair it up with a distortion, and you can get a pop-punk sound. The Palomino and the Crate V series both have a bit more bite to them. The V50 is the same price as the Valveking, and sounds better.
Thanks for the answer on that, that's very good news.