Hi, I'm looking into buying and building a computer designed for regular internet browsing, recording and producing music, and some gaming.

I want to know what specific products to look for when building my computer. If you have a computer built for recording and producing music, I would like to know what your guys' computer specs.

My budget is around $1,500 USD, $2k at the max.

EDIT: I will be building a PC running Windows XP or Vista Home Premium. Please do not mention macs.
Last edited by paulvxD at Jun 27, 2008,
whatever you do, don't get a laptop.. they don't have the processing power as a desktop does.. *i have 3 computers, and desktop was most reliable* (until i blew the soundcard)

on that note, make sure that your sound card is NOT integrated into the motherboard.. that way it is replaceable.. for me, i have no computer for recording anymore..
^
My laptop can beat the hell out of my desktop any day.
Not that they're really even comparable, but my laptop is pretty beastly and only cost me $650
pretty much all you'll need is a butt load of RAM, HD space and a high quality sound card....the rest is unnessesary
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
whatever you do, don't get a laptop.. they don't have the processing power as a desktop does.. *i have 3 computers, and desktop was most reliable* (until i blew the soundcard)

on that note, make sure that your sound card is NOT integrated into the motherboard.. that way it is replaceable.. for me, i have no computer for recording anymore..

Do I need a top notch sound card if I'm going to be recording through a PCI interface?
My plan is to have a mixer which microphones are hooked up to. The mixer would be hooked up to my PCI interface via RCA cords.
The interface would be something like this... http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-Delta-1010-LT-PCI-Digital-Audio-Computer-Interface-101596344-i1154078.gc

If I am recording using a Line 6 Tone Port via USB, would it matter what kind of sound card I have?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-USB-Recording-Modeling-Interface-103373684-i1126367.gc

Those are two ideas I have for recording.

Quote by Bair
pretty much all you'll need is a butt load of RAM, HD space and a high quality sound card....the rest is unnessesary

How much RAM are we talking? 2GB of ram? 4GB?
it depends on the recording software you'll be using.

Quote by Bair
it depends on the recording software you'll be using.

What recording software do you use and how much RAM do you have?
i like adobe audition....but i know there will be ppl who could name a bunch more, depends on what feels right to you....you can look at ram specs on there web site

Quote by Bair
i like adobe audition....but i know there will be ppl who could name a bunch more, depends on what feels right to you....you can look at ram specs on there web site

What's a good amount of RAM that would work with mostly any software?
My band's guitar player records all of our songs, along with his sideproject's songs, on his Macbook

Works like a charm.
2GB and up....im not even sure if they even sell anything smaller than 1GB of DDR anymore lol

if you have that much budget going from 2gb to 4gb is nothing
id recomend it depending on what OS your using
Quote by stringmagician
My band's guitar player records all of our songs, along with his sideproject's songs, on his Macbook

Works like a charm.

Macbook FTW! Just get a macbook pro, and you'll be set for life (or a few years until there's a much better model out there).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by stringmagician

Works like a charm.

yah Garage Band is cool if you got a mac

2 GB is a good place to start. You will most likely never need to go any higher than that. I don't pass 50% when running my recording software and several other programs at the same time.
As for processors, dual-core is good, but not always with recording. You can set the recording program to single-core affinity, because in some programs, dual-core causes latency issues when recording (2:00 song might end up being recorded at 1:55).
Lots of HDD space.
Quote by RPGoof
2 GB is a good place to start. You will most likely never need to go any higher than that. I don't pass 50% when running my recording software and several other programs at the same time.
As for processors, dual-core is good, but not always with recording. You can set the recording program to single-core affinity, because in some programs, dual-core causes latency issues when recording (2:00 song might end up being recorded at 1:55).
Lots of HDD space.

How much memory should I be looking at?
Quote by paulvxD
How much memory should I be looking at?

2GB RAM, like I said. You can always buy more.
As for hard drive space, I share a computer with 4 other people, and with my music-obsessed brother, and my music/pr0nz/recordings/games we're only using 150GB. But that is just us. Since you are probably going to do a lot more recording than I do (I maybe have 2 songs recorded) you may want to shoot for more space. Especially if you want to be gaming.
Quote by RPGoof
2GB RAM, like I said.
As for hard drive space, I share a computer with 4 other people, and with my music-obsessed brother, and my music/pr0nz/recordings/games we're only using 150GB. But that is just us. Since you are probably going to do a lot more recording than I do (I maybe have 2 songs recorded) you may want to shoot for more space. Especially if you want to be gaming.

Alright, thanks.

I still need my sound card issues answered -_-
Quote by paulvxD
Alright, thanks.

I still need my sound card issues answered -_-

You can get a 1 Terabyte HDD for like, $200 I think, so just get a large one, as with most things, the bigger you buy the better deal you get.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools